Taking pictures of small transparent/shiny objects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking pictures of small transparent/shiny objects

I run a small bead shop online and always have trouble taking pictures of transparent/shiny beads. I`d love any advice from the professionals. I have Pentax Ist DL camera and only use natural daylight.

Do you have a photograph you can show us that you're not happy with?

It sounds like you already know to avoid using the camera flash and to use natural light where possible. If you post a photograph it might be easier to see the issues you are having.

Generally, though, I would say to make sure the camera flash isn't firing (even if you have to reflect extra light back on to the beads or increase the ISO) and to watch the focus as an auto-focus system may well have problems focussing on a transparent bead.
    Sarahleigh

www.sarahleighphotography.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for your answer, Sarah! Can I upload pictures here somehow? I`m not allowed to post links yet.
      I`ll try how increasing ISO works. What background would you recommend to use?

Comment

It really depends on the beads you are photographing, but generally it's best to start with a plain background. Either a bright white, black or a colour that brings out the colours in the beads (ie red background for green beads). The lighting really is the key, though. If you don't have enough natural light, try using a lamp to light the beads from the side.
        3 flute & hearts necklace001.jpg7 red bead braceletlow res.jpg4 butterfly & flower braceletlow res.jpg4 Posterlow res.jpg
        see how on the red beads the light was from a window just to one side. Black backgrounds make colours and whites stand out well. The red background worked well against the blue beads.

Im not a bead photography expert, though, as I usually photograph children. Hopefully one of the other jewellery makers will also have some suggestions for you. I did photograph the above jewellery for another forum member last year, though, so have a little experience.

Last edited by Sarahleigh; 24-09-2010, 07:17 PM. Reason: pics didn't work. Need to retry a different way
        Sarahleigh

www.sarahleighphotography.co.uk

Comment

there are lots of tips on the "table top studio" site it is a .co.uk address. sorry but i'm not allowed web addresses yet.

Comment

I'm not a professional in any sense of the word but if it's the shiny/transparent nature of the beads which is giving you trouble then maybe a polarising filter will help?
            Twitter: @Nellie_Dean
            Blog: http://nellie-dean.blogspot.com/
            Folksy: http://www.folksy.com/shops/NellieDean
            Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NellieDeanProducts

Comment

Agree with Fubsy, table top studio is a great place to start. I eventually bought one and life is much easier if I want to photograph anything. Takes two minutes to set up and as long as you focus in on the bead you can't really go wrong. Unless you accidentally drop the camera and hubby start shouting at you!! Eeeehhhh!

Comment

Working...
              X