Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm thinking of having professional photos done for my website.. any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm thinking of having professional photos done for my website.. any advice?

I have done all the photos for my site myself on a very basic digital camera.... and I think some items look really bad!

I really feel I could benift from having professional photos taken to make my items look better.

Can anyone offer any advice? Or does anyone on here live locally (Nottingham)? How much would it cost?

any help appreciated,

hx
    Heidi

Hi Heidi,

I don't think your photos are bad at all!

P.S. don't know if you saw my note about the apron but thanks - it's great!

Emma.
    Photo Lamps - Light up your photos!
    My website: www.PhotoLampsByEmma.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by emmat123 View Post
      Hi Heidi,

Emma.
      Oh... I didn't see it... glad you like it! Could you leave a review? follow the link on my website?

hxx
      Heidi

Comment

Originally posted by emmat123 View Post
        Hi Heidi,

Emma.
        Just seen the review!! Thank you!! Would love a photo when he models it over at xmas!!

xx
        Heidi

Comment

will email you about this!

cheers
          Judith
          www.happysheepdesigns.com

Photographic cards, prints and gifts, and hand-knitted/crocheted accessories and clothing

www.busyted.co.uk

Home of Busy Ted! Also find him on Twitter @busytedstuff and on Facebook

Comment

Personally I would advise you to learn yourself otherwise you are tied in to always having to pay for pics as you update your products and site.

It is really not rocket science and you do not need an expensive camera the one you have gives plenty of resolution for web use. What you need to learn about is composition, lighting and consistency.

If I could use 3 examples from your own site

1 never ever fire the flash it always gives dodgy pictures. Always use good natural light. The best way to get this is to set up right beside a big window with the window to the side of the object so the light is coming from your right or left, this cast gentle soft shadows and shows that the objects are 3 dimensional. It must not be direct harsh sunlight, better on a bright but cloudy day or by a window where the sun is not shining in directly on the work. You want to hold the camera as steady as possible a tripod is perfect but resting it on a sturdy object like a chair back, table or whatever is better than completely hand held.

2 composition, this image and the one above just have too much stuff and the eye does not know where to go.

3 This image is very nice. The lighting is much better. The composition is not too busy. Once you have found the place in your home where you get nice lighting and nice shots then stick to it. Always use the same background if possible, this gives consistency through the site which is nice. I personally use a roll of gray paper background paper available from camera shops but an ironed piece of plain fabric or you wood and wicker or whatever you feel works well but try to keep it consistent.

http://www.robin-wood.co.uk

Comment

I am really guilty of bad photography of my things but by the time I decide to do anything about it I am also too lazy to go back over all the photos and re do them. If , as with me, natural light is not possible (I live in an old cottage with small windows, a couple of spot lights and a lighttent are the best idea. A bit of an outlay but long term good photos pay off. Alternatively as someone suggested elsewhere, if you have a white bath shoot things in there as the white enamel / plastic bounces the light giving an even colour cast. Professional photographers are expensive and if, as with some of us, you are continully updating it could get both tedious and expensive.

Pete
              "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
              Facebook

Website

Comment

Hi Heidi,

I spent a fortune on pro photographer £600 for 4 hours - to be honest the photos me and my friend did with a digital camera, a blue background and photoshop are much better. i'd advise find someone who knows photoshop and the magic wand and you get much better results
                Ricky Bower - Metal Artist
                www.artofmetal.co.uk

Comment

Have you thought of approaching your local camera club or evening class for them to approach it as a project or better still enrol yourself.

Great idea and website - I wish I had a groom!
                  Blog: http://rosmademe.blogspot.com

Comment

Your website is lovely, pictures nice - you say they were taken with a basic digital camera. Well, why not put funds into a newer on instead of a photographer.
                    Charters
                    http://charterscharm.blogspot.com/last updated 28th Mar '11

Comment

Your website is lovely and I don't think your photos are bad at all. I honestly think you would be wasting your time getting professional pics done.

The home of Paper Applique, a brand new card making technique.
                      Watch the video and visit the gallery.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                        Hi Heidi,

I spent a fortune on pro photographer £600 for 4 hours - to be honest the photos me and my friend did with a digital camera, a blue background and photoshop are much better. i'd advise find someone who knows photoshop and the magic wand and you get much better results
                        £600 for 4 hours of product photography..? Sounds an awful lot to me (coming from a photographer)
                        Last edited by loukr; 07-11-2010, 01:40 AM. Reason: typo
                        Dearest Jackdaw

Facebook

Comment

sadly that's not a bad price for 4 hours of product photography - some of the pro's charge a thousand or more. As part of HSD I teach people how to take better shots themselves - I agree with previous comments that for a craft website where products change, taking the shots yourself is more cost-effective.

Cheers
                          Judith
                          www.happysheepdesigns.com

Photographic cards, prints and gifts, and hand-knitted/crocheted accessories and clothing

www.busyted.co.uk

Home of Busy Ted! Also find him on Twitter @busytedstuff and on Facebook

Comment

Hi Heidi,
                            For some reason it won't let me link to your first website? Your Wedding gifts look lovely by the way, and that site is really well made, and very easy to navigate. And I think the pics are fine. Do you have photoshop or a similar package? It is very good for getting rid of any little cheeky bits you want blocking out and having your photoes lightened. I have to say I was a bit slack with my earlier pics but just started using it for my prom collections and I have really noticed the difference!x
                            Dee x
                            Visit ZukieStyle for Handmade Fashion & Pet Accessories
                            Follow ZukieStyle for all the latest designs Facebook & Twitter
                            Read ZukieStyle's Blog Or Visit Us On Etsy!

Comment

I'd consider buying a good Digital SLR.. I love mine and it worth every penny for really good photo's. The difference between it and a compact is massive.. I think you'd see a return on the investment and of course it will all go against tax..

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
                              (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X