Stupid photography question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid photography question!

I know your all going to think this is stupid, but im realy confused (and realy stupid lol). Anyway, a lot of people have advised taking pictures of my jewellery etc in the bath, as it reflects the light (or something like that, I realy dont have a clue what im going on about!) So I just took some pictures, and they all just look like bits of jewellery in a bath, which is not realy the look im going for! What should I do? Do i put it on something, say a bit of paper, and then put it in the bath?
    Sorry it sounds so silly but I am realy confused!
    I like to make things - usually a mess!
    Please look at my stuff and let me know what you think!
    http://elephantfrills.blogspot.com/

The idea of the bath is that you then have a plain backgroubnd. Make sure that when you are taking the photo all you can see in the frame is the jewellery and the white (or whatever colour your bath is) background. No plugs, drains, taps etc. Just the enamel. Jewellery can look good hanging on something especially mif it is necklaces and things like that. Go onto Etsy and do a search for jewellery. Some of the photos are naff but there are some really original ideas there. One had her stuff hanging on a teapot and it looked really effective. (Don't know if it was in th bath mind)

Make sure the bath isn't full first

Pete
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    Facebook

Website

Comment

thank you! I was begining to wonder if there was meant to be water in the bath, but didnt want to ask that as it seemed too stupid even for me! I did do it at the other end of the bath (ie no plugs etc), ill have to try hanging them off something...
      Thanks!

Comment

The bath idea, ideally a white bath, is to create a blank canvas as the light reflects off the sides of the bath giving a similar effect to having a photographic light tent.
        You want to have items in clean/dry/ empty/ white bath and your camera on macro setting (usually a flower icon) then take close up pics of your pieces ....... then show us

It is easier to take pics from many angles as a bath is low.
        Many a time I am balanced precariously on a stool with stuff on a tile on a window sill trying to get enough natural light to take a shot - all of which can be avoided by using light bounced around the bath giving a good effect.

HTH xx
        Terry xxx
        You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
        Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

Thanks for all these tips. Im going to have another go later on. wish me luck!

Comment

Backgrounds for small items

Try photographing your items resting on a dark coloured cloth.
            Maybe black, dark blue or dark purple. Try matt and satin to see which suits your work better.
            I find that it seems to define items better and give them more of a 'glow'.
            You could rest it in the bottom of the bath to collect the light reflecting off the white sides.

Comment

Photographing my pinnies

Any advice on photographing my pinnies? I am currently using a mannequin, but I'm not really happy with them. When seen, people have given fantastic feedback, but my photos just aren't doing them justice. Am hoping to get some shots outside, but the weather isn't up for that at the mo. and need to get some photos taken asap then I can get them online.
              www.loulabelleathome.blogspot.com
              www.loulabelleathome.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sammy View Post
                Try photographing your items resting on a dark coloured cloth.
                Maybe black, dark blue or dark purple. Try matt and satin to see which suits your work better.
                I find that it seems to define items better and give them more of a 'glow'.
                You could rest it in the bottom of the bath to collect the light reflecting off the white sides.
                Thanks! I was following the bath thing and then I tried with a dark blue satin cloth. I love it! I wasn't been very successful with the bath...

Comment

Before I bought a light tent I put mine on white paper and put them outside or by a south facing window - plenty of lovely natural light and the white background sets it off nicely. I tried the bath thing but it didnt really work for me. Tell the truth, I prefer the way I was doing them because the light tent its a lot of hassle.
                  www.pebblesandpearls.co.uk

Comment

I just cant wait for the summer ... late sunny evenings!
                    In the winters, I save up my jewellery that i have made in the week to photograph on the weekend ... for good light, and even a cloudy day can rain the warm glow that I am after!

I should really make my own lightbox! (If only i had the place to keep it!)
                    *Nicola*
                    www.smittenkitten.de

Comment

Originally posted by Quartz View Post
                      I should really make my own lightbox! (If only i had the place to keep it!)
                      IIRC, there are some good instructions on the instructibles website - http://www.instructables.com/

There are a few good ideas out there - I've seen light tents made out of cardboard, and there is a tutorial somewhere on how to do it with a cheap laundry basket from Ikea.
                      It's never too late to gyrate!

Comment

thanks for that link MrSwirl
                        They are fantastic ideas, and if I had the place to store it I would be eager to make one!!

Until I have the space - I'll just have to keep oin waiting for the sunny days! (which I do everyday anyway! )
                        *Nicola*
                        www.smittenkitten.de

Comment

Working...
                        X