Photography at craft fairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photography at craft fairs

First of all, many thanks for setting up a photography thread. I’m sure in time it’ll become as busy as the other categories !

Michelle and I visit craft fairs, ones we’re allowed to anyway, selling our photos in a variety of different formats from framed prints to notepads.

How do other photographers find the craft fairs? What works well for you and what doesn’t ?

Rather than just concentrate on mounted and framed prints we have tried to put items for sale covering a price range to suit all.

One idea that has worked well for us is mousemats, whereby you can insert one of your photos and people seem to like to buy something that they can use, rather than just admire.

Our trouble is that we want to produce things like calendars and jigsaws etc but in order to keep costs down you have to order at least 100 which just isn’t a viable option at the moment.

Not sure if I’m allowed to mention the best place for cheap inks so if interested please PM me and I’ll be happy to share.

Look forward to sharing ideas etc
    Web: www.randmphotography.com
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/dolts007

Hi,
    What do you tke photos of?
    I do wildlife & find it sells relatively well, & on the subject of calendars I'll pm you later. As a wildlife photographer I was up at 330 this morning so I'm off for a nap!!!

Originally posted by dolts007 View Post
    First of all, many thanks for setting up a photography thread. I’m sure in time it’ll become as busy as the other categories !

Michelle and I visit craft fairs, ones we’re allowed to anyway, selling our photos in a variety of different formats from framed prints to notepads.

How do other photographers find the craft fairs? What works well for you and what doesn’t ?

Rather than just concentrate on mounted and framed prints we have tried to put items for sale covering a price range to suit all.

One idea that has worked well for us is mousemats, whereby you can insert one of your photos and people seem to like to buy something that they can use, rather than just admire.

Our trouble is that we want to produce things like calendars and jigsaws etc but in order to keep costs down you have to order at least 100 which just isn’t a viable option at the moment.

Not sure if I’m allowed to mention the best place for cheap inks so if interested please PM me and I’ll be happy to share.

Look forward to sharing ideas etc
    www.derekhenderson.ifp3.com

Comment

Hi

We focus on wildlife and all things nature much like yourself as well as trying to keep my day job going !

Be interesting to hear re the calendars

Regards

Rob

PS, 3.30am! Thats what I like to see, dedication to the cause !

Comment

I have just started selling, and so far cards, postcards and fridge magnets seem to be doing better than photographs. People collect fridge magnets.

I saw wire-bound notebooks at a craft fair a couple of weeks ago (on a painter's stand, with prints of his paintings on the cover), and the very kind lady on the next stand to mine, who makes notebooks and albums and such like, told me how they are done, and how to get the 'lumpy' bit of the binding inside the covers. So when I have done the costings and can justify the machine, I wll try those as well!
        Dagna
        The living embodiment of the phrase 'not a morning person'
        Examples of my jewellery and photography are on my home page: http://www.seshat.com
        Folksy shop: http://www.folksy.com/shops/Dagna

Comment

re the notepads, I have bought mine off ebay and they have a spiral binding, and a clear plastic front and back. On the front you can peel back the paper and insert your own photo.

have only just started trying these out and they seem to go down well. Again, its something people can use, rather than just admire.

I agree, the sale of pictures has gone down a little but thats why I find it so important to give the customer a variety of goods to chose from.

In a nutshell we sell at our craft fairs the following items - if there are any items not listed that you sell and work for you, please share as its always good to get new ideas

Framed and mounted prints, cards, magnets, keyrings, coasters, bookmarks, mousemats, notepads, paperweights and soon we will be selling calendars.

ROb

Comment

Hi - I use my photography for making some of my cards and have gradually introduced more items using photographs - some of which you obviously do. Gift tags using photographs is another one I do. Would be interested in knowing where you buy the mousemats and paperweights that you insert photos into (I have looked at several sources before, but done nothing about it).
            Cynthia
            http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

Hi

Sent you a PM as not sure if I'm allowed to post suppliers on the forum.

paperweights I find do not go as well as expected as they are a nice to have, whereas the mousemats have a genuine use and therefore I do sell a lot of them.

Comment

Originally posted by dolts007 View Post
                Hi

Sent you a PM as not sure if I'm allowed to post suppliers on the forum.

paperweights I find do not go as well as expected as they are a nice to have, whereas the mousemats have a genuine use and therefore I do sell a lot of them.
                Thanks - have received your pm. Will leave paperweights alone for now then!!
                Cynthia
                http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

I'd be interested to hear more about the mousemats & notebooks etc that you can personalise with a photograph yourself.

I don't do craft fairs, but have found the keyrings I do following a portrait shoot have gone down a storm. I get the blanks from ebay & insert a photograph - easy, cheap but desirable and I've never found anyone buying the cheap keyring instead of a more expensive print (usually bother + more for relatives). I'm wondering if mousemats etc would be a good addition to the range of prints etc i offer, especially coming up to Christmas.
                  Sarahleigh

www.sarahleighphotography.co.uk

Comment

Hi Sarah

have sent you a PM re the details of the mousemats.

I have done mousemats for wedding gifts which always seem to go down well so why not give it a go with a small sample to start with and see what the response is like?

Regards

Rob

Comment

I sell at craft and gift fairs up and down the country, that is where we are allowed as some of the southern fairs dont see photography as an art or a craft which always makes me laugh.

We sell a huge produce line with my photos on, from mousemats and paperweights (only at xmas paperweights rubbish any other time) to keyrings canvases, acrylic prints, pen boxes, jewellery, plates money boxes etc

Comment

Hi

have come across the same reaction as you re some craft fairs and reaction to photography. You just have to smile and move on!

Interested in your line of produce, money boxes sounds an excellent idea, would you mind sharing where you get them from as it would be great to investigate the possibilities.

Michelle and I are wildlife photographers so sme of our animals and birds could look great on there.

Many thanks

ROb

Comment

Weird!
                          I've never had anyone suggest my photography is not an art or craft. Must be the southerners
                          www.derekhenderson.ifp3.com

Comment

It is weird the photography not an art thing, i do wildlife and landscape photography although saying that my speciality or personal favourite is steam rail photography. Doesnt say anything about my background which is 100% wildlife. I have a degree in environmental managment and used to work for the wwt.

Money boxes etc are gifts done locally on heat presses. i am in the process of expanding at the moment as its going so well. im taking on my own unit in leigh. manchester and im going to be doing heat pressed gifts for other photographers as well as a range of photo gifts for other photographers to use. I found it so hard setting up i thought id supply others. i do import some of my stuff such as wooden photo boxes to put my pictures in etc but depend on how many i have to order. last time was 1000.

Im hoping to buy a canvas printer to so il be offering that as well. I have a great place who will put pictures onto acrylic panels for mounting on walls will aluminium mounts and they only cost about a5th of what the high street charge.
                            pm, me if you wanna know who it is

Comment

Photographs

Hi

We sell pictures as well but wonder if you could send me the email for the calanders, bookmarks, coaster's, fridge magnets and notlets and anythin you think would be of use to me.

We to have found that people are'nt buying things to mlook at they want things that are of practical use.

thanks in anticipation

Shaz

Comment

Working...
                              X