bigshot questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bigshot questions

hi guys i'm getting my bigshot in a few days and a couple things baffle me.

1: I've ordered a range of sizzix dies but i've bought an "XL" die, do i need the extending cutting plates? do i need to buy an extendable platform too?

2: what sizzix brand dies are the thin wafer metal dies?

3: I want to make boxes with apertures like a fancy pattern but not fully cut out ( i dont think SIzzix do these, i've seen spellbinders do )$(KGrHqZ,!l4E+uPCvMIhBQLoUGrL0g~~60_35.JPG

Thanks!

I would try it first. I got some extended cutting plates for my XL die but have managed with the standard cutting plates and platform as the XL die is the exact same size as them.

Just look which manufacturer has the die you want. Check its not too big for the bigshot as some machines take dies above C5 size.

Die manufacturers/names:
    xcut (Docrafts)
    spellbinders
    Marianne creatables
    memory box
    Cheery Lynn
    Lea'bilities
    Die Namics (might be available only in USA, not sure)
    Crafting for you
    Sizzix - I think they do make these as they make some specifically for Stampin' Up and they have the Sizzix name on. I think these are called framelits.

Hopefully someone will add to this list if I've missed some off.
    Last edited by Incognito 1; 07-02-2013, 01:06 PM. Reason: Sizzix

Comment

Thanks i've had a look at framelets and they seem to cut the whole thing out, i looked at spellbinders and they are called D-lites, do any other companies supply these sort of dies?

Comment

I know framelits usually cut out the frame. I was giving you the name of the thin metal dies as i thought you were asking about thin metal dies to make up a 'picture' for the side of a lantern. You can build up your filligree design using various dies otherwise you would be better off with an electronic cutter to do filligree work as one whole block. You need to trawl through each manufaturers designs and see if any single die will cut a whole 'picture' / design without having to use more than one die.

Comment

I find XL dies with extended plates go through the machine just fine on the ordinary platform - you just have to try them and maybe adjust the overhang slightly or turn them part way through the cut run.

Sizzix now do framelits but these cut outlines and are designed to cut exactly where the edge of the die is...so no embossed edges or overlap like nesties.,..what you see is where it cuts.

Marianne, Memory Box and a few others do the intricate fancy cuts and these all work with a big shot...although they are not designed to cut through heavy weight card

Many of the electronic machines will have the capability to cut the entire box with al the fancy panels - you would probably only be limited by the size the machine can handle.

Detailed work like this would be more difficult using the big shot unless you found a one step die... and if it was a one pass die, the finished box would be very small. (When buying dies to cut 3D projects it is worth double checking the assembled size to avoid disappointment. I bought a handbag die once and the finished bag is just about big enough to hold a 50p coin...so lesson learned there )

To achieve this kind of result You could make the box (either using a die or by cutting, scoring and folding) then cut apertures and then add the (separately cut) fancy cut panels fixed to the inside of your box frame or you could make acetate boxes and affix the fancy cut panels to the outside...or of course you could learn the art of paper cutting with a blade....assuming you do not already have those skills.

I am sure that once you have all your dies etc you will find a way to make it work for you...while you are trying I would suggest to do your trial runs on scraps or inexpensive card/paper to save expensive boo boos...

Have fun!

Comment

Working...
          X