Decopatch adhesive and Mod Podge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decopatch adhesive and Mod Podge

Very new to the whole papercraft thing sorry.

I am learning quilling which, for now have been using PVA glue to do.

I know that Decopatch requires special decopatch adhesive BUTTT I saw a gorgeous pair of decopatch shoes on Pinterest but the lady said she used Mod Podge matt to make them.

Can someone please explain the difference between the 2 adhesives and if Mod Podge would be the better adhesive to use when customising shoes and the like please ( would like to do lighters, phone cases etc for my family and friends using photographs and stuff )

Many thanks in advance xxx

Hi there - I think that there are actually some differences in the formulation of Mod Podge and PVA but not so many as to make a massive difference. As for decopatching shoes......hmmmm.......I wouldn't trust them in the rain even with Mod Podge. Try it out on something that you can soak and you'll see that your paper will come off.
    Custom tribal belly dance costumes & accessories

Unique jewellery for those who love to turn heads

Comment

Can't post link as not enough posts yet The lady does say they arne't 100% rain proof but Mod Podge matt should offer enough resistance for outdoor wear minus the wetness lol

Really fancy having a try xx

Was just unsure what projects would be Mod Podge, which would be Decopatch glue and which would suffice just PVA xx

Comment

Well, in fairness she has said they would be good enough for outdoor wear minus the rain.

If you Google Decopatch vs Mod Podge, or Decopatch vs PVA you'll find plenty of discussion on the subject. I have and so now am in the throws of using up my Mod Podge and once it's all gone I shall return to using PVA for projects. But I think trial and error and personal choice have a part to play.

Comment

Thanks so much for your replies Blackwillow

I am assuming from your revertion to PVA that they are one in the same? Maybe I should have googled before I bought some of each hehe xxx

Comment

If you have a Pinterest account you can put Mod Podge in the search and you will find lots of info about it and ways of making it for yourself. It is a long running topic of interest.

I use pva, bought from a DIY shop as I got 5 litres for £2.99. There are plenty of instructions of how much to dilute it 'out there'. I doubt I'd ever by the 'real' stuff as it seems to be a heavily priced crafter's special! OH is forever dragging me into a builders merchant to show me the origins of some of the stuff I ask about
            Do not watch this space

Comment

Originally posted by StefC View Post

I use pva, bought from a DIY shop as I got 5 litres for £2.99. There are plenty of instructions of how much to dilute it 'out there'. I doubt I'd ever by the 'real' stuff as it seems to be a heavily priced crafter's special! OH is forever dragging me into a builders merchant to show me the origins of some of the stuff I ask about
              ^ Exactly. I do wish that I could think out of the box and come up with a nicely packaged product that has very practical origins and yet would be snapped up by those looking for something with its properties

Comment

Money for old rope

Is that the property you mean?

Edit: I just noticed, I am pink!!! Oh dear, that means I talk too much...
                Do not watch this space

Comment

Thanks ladies

I did wonder about the similarities of PVA compared to special craft glues to be honest. I am quite a DIY fiend also and noticed the similarities of their make up but needed clairifcation from more experienced crafters first

Will keep the Mod Podge on stock and use it in cases of emergency or when very high gloss or very flat matt are required

I am on Pinterest also so will seek out Mod Podge info there too.

Thanks again xxxx

Comment

I've just seen this thread and thought I would join in . From my observations, if you want to use Decopatch papers, tissue paper or napkins for decorating, diluted PVA works just as well as the branded Decopatch glue. I usually dilute it about 1:3 water/glue. There is a little difference in the finish if you use the watered down PVA as a top coat/varnish. It is glossier and a little bit stickier than Decopatch glue. Decopatch in matte has a nice satin finish but it depends what you are after. I now use Decopatch most of the time for convenience, as watering PVA down can be a bit of a 'hassle' and I usually need to glue things NOW . I haven't used Mod Podge but after researching on it a while back I decided I could not see a difference from an old good PVA.

As for the water 'proofness' for the shoes, I suggest getting a good artist or furniture varnish and if you put 2-3 coats on that should do the trick. Nothing will last forever but you can always fix the damage parts with Decopatch paper . Also, there are some really glues from Beacon Adhesives, but they are super pricey. But they are also VERY good!

Good luck!
                    An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it” (William Bernbach)
                    Asia King , find me on: My Blog, Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube, DT for Stampendous! Impressions,

Comment

Thanks so much Creative

I have done a couple of Decopatch projects using just plain old PVA and it didn't go too bad. I used a slightly shiney tissue paper, not a million miles off the decopatch paper and managed t pick up some swan neck mannequin heads for a really good price. I will try to put pictures up at some point when my camera decides to be nice to me again lol

I also got some Mod Podge in both matt and high gloss finish to have a play with. Very much baby steps right now although the kids had a snow day or 2 last week so we had a blast with some unisex mannequin heads and funky paper then added pipe cleaners, glitter, flowers etc hehe xxx

Comment

Working...
                      X