Sizzix Big Shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sizzix Big Shot

Hi all, this may be a silly question but... I was lucky enough to receive a Big Shot for Christmas. Only just getting round to playing with it! What I want to know is, are the cutting pads supposed to mark quite badly? There is a deep impression of each die left whenever i use it. I'm thinking they aren't going to last long at this rate!

Yes, they do. I've had mine a year now and they are all white with scratches. I use mine a lot too. I have a spare set ready to use. Most people use one pad to cut on and use the other one top of the die. This ensures you don't get the cut marks embossed into the item you are cutting. Its not usually a problem unless you are using the thin metal dies. If you use the thin metal dies with badly marked plates the scratches on the cutting pads can leave embossed marks on the plain area of your card/paper. Hope I have explained that in a way you can follow.

Comment

It's quite normal for the plates to mark....I always keep one plate for the top and the bottom one stays as new until the top one gets too marked, then swap them over. x
      Sarah x

~ The Lilac Dragonfly- Handmade Jewellery ~

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

They can also end up with a bend in them too, I just turn them over when this happens. x

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll get back to playing then! Appreciate the advice xx

Comment

Since this comes up a lot I decided to pop my current cutting plate on the scanner and share the pic...and this is it in all its scruffy glory.... The scanner appears to have magnified all the paper fibres trapped in the cuts...its probably time for it to have a quick vacuum and a bath....but as it is, it is in daily use and still works like a dream.
            Attached Files

Comment

And I thought my cutting plates were badly marked!!!! Yes, they still work fine though: it worried me at first too.
              Lilly
              http://madebylilly.wordpress.com/

Comment

The pads to mark, however, what i do is keep one for facing the dies down onto all the time. That way only one is being marked at a time
                Always have spare ones in too
                My Crafting Blog - http://croftcrafts.blogspot.co.uk/

My Facebook Crafting Page - http://https://www.facebook.com/Crof...sCardsKnitting

Comment

Originally posted by runetracey View Post
                  The pads to mark, however, what i do is keep one for facing the dies down onto all the time. That way only one is being marked at a time
                  Always have spare ones in too
                  I do the same...word of warning, if you should decide to write on one plate to indicate cutting plate (top or bottom) as some people do, be sure to you use permanent marker or a label... I witnessed the ruination of several projects because the cutting plate warning some had added transferred onto a project when it went through the machine...

My tatty cutting plate as pictured above is the one I now use for bottle top projects and the like...its already pretty messed up making it perfect for the heavy duty stuff.

Comment

My cutting plates are badly marked too but I do swap them over for new ones for some cutting techniques. The fine cut marks emboss the paper and this isn't always hidden by the design. I use Sizzlits a lot and they make the plates bend even though I do swap the plates round and swap the position of the Sizzlits on the plate. This makes it difficult to position some framelits even when sticking them down with low tack tape or post it notes.

Comment

Working...
                    X