Tim Holtz stamps, tissue tape, distress ink pads etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim Holtz stamps, tissue tape, distress ink pads etc

I love Altered art and have recently decided that the Tim Holtz range is something I'd like to investigate and use. The Die cuts I would love to have but the machine etc is way out of my price range at the moment. To start up with what essentials would you recommend getting, just a couple of ink pads and stamps? I can see it becoming an obsession.
    Debbie
    Please visit my facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Pre...4922514?ref=ts

I do vintage style and tinker with altered art, steam punk and collage style cards but I'm not an expert at it. Ive just got a bryer which you may find useful. I love Tim Holtz style but I find a lot of the items overpriced. If you look round you can get lots of items (dies and embellishments) cheaper but just as good. I have some of their inks and background papers.

I use stamps that will go with these styles and select neutral coloured inks and papers. Co-ordinations papers and some sand paper will be useful for this style.

What machine are you refering to? The manual bigshot at £59.99 is all you need. I understand this may be out of reach at the moment but its much cheaper than the vagabond machine I think you may have seen.

Comment

Hi Debbie... I am a bit of a Holtz fan myself and can see the attraction...at the same time if you are just trying things out, it is the process that is key to achieving the look and you can get the same type of effects using other non branded items - many that you can pick up in a hardware store

From the hardware store you can pick up low tack masking tape, plaster board mesh tape and aluminium foil tape and a spritzer as well as washers and other interesting bits and bobs..all of these are fabulous basics for adding elements/texture to your projects and for altering items of any shape.

From the Holtz range the essentials are definitely the distress inks/stains and you will also need some sponges /foam pad applicators. If you can't run to a die cutting machine at the moment you can buy books/pads of images and stickers and other elements to use on your projects.

Check out the online craft store sales - you should be able to pick up a few bargains at this time of year... core card and a sanding block (emery boards will work too)

I agree that the big shot machine (iro £50) is all you need it does all the the vagabond does and is loads cheaper.

It can definitely become addictive...but you will be in excellent company

Comment

debbiesw - i'm going to send you a pm with a link on. Its a company who make stamps that will fit in with the style you want to do. I don't have any links with them. I found the products in my local craft shop but you can buy them on line. There is another company too but I can't rememebr their name at the moment.

Comment

Got it ,Thanks to you both, thats a little mine of information I can work with, I love the Vagabond but was wondering if there was another that would fit the Tim Holtz dies,

What is a bryer ?? see I have so much to learn
          Debbie

Comment

The bigshot is a manual version of the Vagabond although not as 'pretty'. I'm not sure if the vagabaond does anything the bigshot can't but I don't think it can.

Brayer is a wide rubber roller. I like to roll mine in different coloured inks or multi coloured ink pads to make backgrounds. They are good for making graduated backgrounds when doing scenery. You can also do this with dry brushes (pastry or shaving brushes) for a slightly textured background.

Comment

I've seen a few blogs where the writers show you how to make your own tissue tapes so that might be worth a Google. And if you buy alcohol inks for any of your projects you don't need to buy the branded fluid that they sell for cleaning up/mixing and diluting colours, alcohol hand gel works just as well, so buy a little bottle for £1 rather than having to pay out £9 or whatever they charge for the Ranger stuff.

I would agree that the price of the Tim Holtz stuff can be pretty prohibitive so hunt around and get creative with some of the elements. It might be worth looking on ebay too to see if anyone is getting rid of a job lot.....sometimes people buy loads of stuff with good intentions, realise they're never going to use it and then sell it on. I saw some very good lots of Tim Holtz products earlier this year (I didn't buy them, I just like looking to see what people are selling )
              Custom tribal belly dance costumes & accessories

Unique jewellery for those who love to turn heads

Comment

As you might expect, there are different kinds of brayer too...if you take a look at some of Barbara Gray's work -(a Google search will bring her up no probs) you should see some fine examples and a decent tutorial or two on getting the most from a brayer.... a brayer is also really useful lots of other things including even ink distribution on large background stamps or for inking the inside of embossing folders.

Comment

I don't agree that alcohol hand gel is better than other sources, you can't spray it for a start. I buy 1L bottles of 99% IPA which needs diluting 70:30 with water (for mixing and spraying water based shimmer paints). This works out much cheaper than buying spritzing sprays and you can use it for blending if you wish. I don't spray all projects but I am a bit crazy with it and have used it on many cards. I split the 1L bottle between five other crafters, two of which had multiple spray bottles as they do classes. We have been using this alcohol for about six months and are only just getting to the end of the 1L bottle. If I had gone to fetch it from a large Chemist (********) it may have been cheaper, not sure. Including p&p it only cost £10.15.

Comment

Originally posted by Craftychez View Post
                    I don't agree that alcohol hand gel is better than other sources, you can't spray it for a start. I buy 1L bottles of 99% IPA which needs diluting 70:30 with water (for mixing and spraying water based shimmer paints). This works out much cheaper than buying spritzing sprays and you can use it for blending if you wish. I don't spray all projects but I am a bit crazy with it and have used it on many cards. I split the 1L bottle between five other crafters, two of which had multiple spray bottles as they do classes. We have been using this alcohol for about six months and are only just getting to the end of the 1L bottle. If I had gone to fetch it from a large Chemist (********) it may have been cheaper, not sure. Including p&p it only cost £10.15.
                    That's a fair point and I should have been clearer about what I use alcohol inks for - mostly colouring metals in jewellery making and so I don't need to spray it
                    Custom tribal belly dance costumes & accessories

Unique jewellery for those who love to turn heads

Comment

I don't know why the bracketed name has been blocked!???? I put the alternative name for a Chemist shop ie a
                      P. H. A. R .M .A .C. Y

Comment

Looky what i found today in Hobbycraft, some free stamps on this magazine which only cost me £2.95 !! Whoo, there is a whole range its called Chronology, and i got some lovely papers and cog wheels too, building up some stuff before the creations begin
                        Debbie

Comment

super managed to buy a Big Shot for 15 pounds from another crafter, in good working order, she said I might want to buy a new pair of cutting plates which I got for 4.50 off ebay, so am chuffed and so excited, will be here on Tuesdays
                          Debbie

Comment

Originally posted by debbiesw View Post
                            super managed to buy a Big Shot for 15 pounds from another crafter, in good working order, she said I might want to buy a new pair of cutting plates which I got for 4.50 off ebay, so am chuffed and so excited, will be here on Tuesdays
                            That is brill...absolute bargain and since they are sturdy bit of kit and a fairly safe used purchase...you are going to have such fun....

Comment

I know, i couldnt believe it as I have spent the past few days bidding and being outbid on used ones on an auction site and watching them go up and up so that they are only a few pounds off buying a brand new one and just cant see the point of paying that , may aswell buy a new one.

I had a look in the craft shop yesterday and they weigh a ton dont they?
                              Last edited by debbiesw; 05-01-2013, 07:59 AM.
                              Debbie

Comment

Working...
                              X