Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A4 Die cutting & embossing

Hi all,

I'm looking for an A4 die cutting and embossing machine. The embossing is most important. I've read almost all the posts on die cuting machines but very few mentioned the Grand Calibur and couldn't find any on the Joy Trouvaille (maybe it's my spelling!). I can't decide between the two. On a shopping channel I can pay in 3 instalments for the Calibur, which would be welcome, but I prefer the flat top of the JT - it would be handy for assembling the plates. At the moment I have a cuttlebug - version 1 I think (it's pink) but it's just way too small. Most of my cards are 6x6 but I sometimes do 8x8 (and the very occasional A4) so an A4 machine would be best, I think.

Grateful for any opinions/suggestions.

If you want a manual machine take a look at the big shot pro...it takes 12 x 14 and works with all dies currently on the market.

The new e-bosser is apparently a whizz bang electronic machine that can cut and emboss A4 and early reports of it are good

The Joy T machine had some teething problems at one stage and wasn't particularly competitive with others on the market so maybe that is why there are few references to it. People I know who bought a Grand Calibur are switching because it was designed specifically for spellbinders thin metal dies and is not compatible with some other dies

The machines with bigger capacity also require you purchase larger embossing folders and dies which are of course more expensive than the regular sized ones...but they have the bonus of being able to run more than one normal sized folder/die through the machine at the same time.

They are an investment and if you can see them in action first it may help you to make your decision. If you can't get to them, You tube is often a good place to see the features and see the machines in operation.

Would love to know what decision you make in the end and how you find your new machine.

Comment

Thanks for this. I want a manual machine - there's more to go wrong with electronics! - and also don't want to spend more than £100. I think I'll prob go for the JT, if I can find the money all in one go.

Comment

Hi ive got a grand calibur and its great for cutting and embossing a4 size and anything in between. It works with spellbinders and other thin dies on the market as well as embossing folders from various manufacturers. i have seen the joy trouvaille in action on create and craft but thats all. Maybe you could look on utube for some more information on these machines. hth

Comment

New generation a4 die cutting system coming soon !

Hi
          Just to let you know we are bring an all new A4 system to the UK shortly . Cuts all makes and type of dies including thick sizzix dies . All embossing folders . Only requires two plates to do everything . Easy to operate with its new patented system.Available shortly in a choice of four colours from ourselves at Once Upon a Stamp.
          Please see our blog for all info via our web site .
          This machine is what we have all been waiting for .This machine will replace all machines currently available . One machine does all !!
          Thank you to all who voted us Midlands Retailer of the year , much appreciated . Gordon

Comment

May I ask Gordon if you are telling us that you have purchased one of these or if you are saying that you have them available to sell?
            Carol
            God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Hi
              Just returned from the USA .We are having these manufactured for ourselves . We will shortly be announcing more details but at the moment we are posting on our blog all the info we have . We have tested our machines and we are very excited that at last we have an A4 machine that can do everything with ease . No longer do crafters need several machines for different dies , this new system does it all and very easily and to our tough requirements as we are fed up of breaking machines. I am very excited about our new project and just want to let everyone know what we are about to launch in the UK .

Comment

Sounds intersting. You only need one machine unless you make cards over C5 size though. Even then a design can esily be made if the main focus of the card is cut on a C5 size die.

Comment

I have a Grand Calibur but I must admit to only using it for when I really need to cut or emboss larger items - my main machine is my Big Shot. Spellbinders have recently brought out A4 embossing folders which are great but will only work in the newer Grand Caliburs and I do notice that there are some retailers who are still selling the older machines so if you go for the Grand Calibur make sure it's the purple and not the red machine.

Any good retailer will not only give you a demonstration of the capabilities of the die cutting machine you are interested in but also let you have a go of using it yourself in the shop - so try and find a shop locally that does this before you make your final decision.

Comment

Unlike the Grand Calibur , this new machine will take all thickness of dies and folders up to A4 including all of the sizix dies etc. We have never had this before on a machine of this size. Spellbinders have also just launched a new machine which is small but takes more pressure than the calibur . With our new machine everything can be done and it really can take much more pressure without the thought of breaking it . There is a huge difference and of course it is easy to use with only two plates to do everything .

Comment

Do you mean only two cutting plates? Does the machine have some mechanism that compensates for the different die thicknesses then?

Comment

Just for info, Create and Craft TV has the Grand Calibur for around £80 (£71-ish) if you are a member of their craft club. Postage is £2.99. This is the cheapest I've seen it.

For an additional discount, you can sign up with a cashback site.

---------

Gordon, do you have a price for your embosser?

---------

For those who don't know, Gordon's blog is located at: http://onceuponastampblog.blogspot.co.uk/
                        Last edited by Lenny; 24-01-2013, 09:00 AM.
                        ~~The old ways are the future~~

Comment

I'm confused as to why anyone would buy a Grand calibur when you can only used them for thin dies. Its more limiting than only been able to cut up to A5 in size. Has anyone got one of these and some other machine? I know of one person who got the GC but also uses a Bigshot.

Comment

Gordon can I ask what price range will your new machine fall in to and how does it compare in terms of size (craftroom space vs machine footprint really matters) and weight? These things are far more important to most crafters than four attractive colour options...although that said, I have known people refuse to buy a machine because they consider the colour/design to be ugly...never did understand that... when it comes to craft tools function/capability and VFM is way more important than being pretty

Comment

Originally posted by Craftychez View Post
                              I'm confused as to why anyone would buy a Grand calibur when you can only used them for thin dies.
                              So, the Big Shot can handle thick dies?

I never knew that - something that they gloss over on C&CTV!

That makes the Big Shot more attractive.
                              ~~The old ways are the future~~

Comment

Working...
                              X