Cash for Christmas???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cash for Christmas???

I was not sure where to put this, Cards? Painting? Padded Room in case the Grands saw it? However, I digress. Some of the Grands are teenagers and I no longer know what to get them so am sending money but it feels a bit cold, no thought gone into it. I miss choosing something special for each individual. It never feels quite right so I do make an attempt to personalize it in some way. (Falling short of replacing The Queens Head on a tenner for one of us. lol).
    This year I have hand draw and coloured little gift cards. (I am not a card maker so don't expect miracles) So far I have done six, three of each. I know they are very amateurish but at least they will know I bothered.

001.JPG003.jpg
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

I'm pretty certain your grands will really appreciate them (and the contents). They also look better than anything I could draw.
    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

They're very good - and, of course, unique. I hope the recipients appreciate the amount of thought and work you have put into them.

Linda

Comment

Thats very kind of you, thank you. Got two of them here at the mo. Driving me mad. Two seven year old boys with the devil in them. Think I will just pop up the shops and leave Grandad to it.
        Carol

Comment

I think they are fab and I am sure they will love them.

I make loads of gift card holders at this time of year...they are one of the best sellers at Christmas.

Comment

Another idea if you're giving money or vouchers as gifts is to pop the cheque, voucher, or cash (rolled up with a rubber band), inside a home made cracker - complete with cracker snap. I've made crackers for the sole purpose of disguising money / vouuchers. They're also great fun to open.. or pull. Just be sure to tell the person whom you're giving it to, that their Christmas gift is inside the cracker!
            Carol
            Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
            Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Comment

I love the Santa and the postcode card. It's really very good.. perhaps you should consider selling some of those.
              Carol
              Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
              Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Comment

Thanks but not me. You are quite welcome to borrow the idea though.
                Last edited by Critchley; 10-12-2012, 07:23 PM.
                Carol

Comment

Here's my answer for the cash for Christmas conundrum....

It's for a couple of friends of mine, one born in 1958 and the other born in 1961.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...0791644&type=1

Oakdale Studios Facebook
                  Bob Tanner Facebook ~~Viktor von Forkenspoon Facebook ~~Shirt Creek Facebook

“Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become;
                  bigger, fatter, shinier acorns, but that is of interest, only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better, that we can become oak trees.”

Comment

They are very nice but the grands are too young for them. I do have a question though. At the back of my mind - and I must admit the thought goes back to my youth - I was sure that years ago you were not allowed to drill holes in the coin of the realm. Has that changed? Does it not matter any more? I hasten to add this is not a criticism, you just triggered the thought.
                    Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Critchley View Post
                      They are very nice but the grands are too young for them. I do have a question though. At the back of my mind - and I must admit the thought goes back to my youth - I was sure that years ago you were not allowed to drill holes in the coin of the realm. Has that changed? Does it not matter any more? I hasten to add this is not a criticism, you just triggered the thought.
                      All I know from research I have done on this is that you cant "deface" a coin and try to deceive someone else as by trying to increase it's face value.

There is one of those coin press machines in Balmoral Castle and look that the good people do at the Hairy Growler studios. http://www.hairygrowler.co.uk/

Thanks for the concern though.

Vik
                      Oakdale Studios Facebook
                      Bob Tanner Facebook ~~Viktor von Forkenspoon Facebook ~~Shirt Creek Facebook

“Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become;
                      bigger, fatter, shinier acorns, but that is of interest, only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better, that we can become oak trees.”

Comment

Just as an aside, one of my other hobbies is metal detecting and finding drilled coins, especially silver, is not unusual. The oldest drilled coin I have is a Charles II silver maundy coin,with a cross type pattern on the rear, drilled to be used as jewellery. The position of the hole gives that away. Also it is a theory that in olden times the poor would drill coins to put on a safety pin and attach under their clothes as emergency cash, so when they were raided for taxes they would always have a little hidden away. People would also trim bits of silver from the edge of thin"hammies", hammered coins and every now & then sell them to the silversmiths. That is why many hammered silver coins are such odd oval shapes. There is a small business near me where the guy uses old coins as cufflinks etc but then enamels them....Dave.

Comment

I can just remember the farthing being phased out and you could still get silver thruppenny bits and we were in trouble if we drilled them to hang on a charm bracelet. That is what I was basing my surmise on. That would be 19....cough, splutter. ahem. They have machines in arcades in USA which flatten the dime so you can use it as an ornament, I did one about 10 years ago.
                          Carol

Comment

ooooo i love them!
                            www.facebook.com/JmKeepSakes

www.etsy.com/shop/JmKeepSakes

Comment

Working...
                            X