Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chatterboxes

Hello,

I am new to this forum and craft in general!
    I would like some help. I am making chatterboxes and need to get some square coloured paper for this... anyine know the best place for this. I need thick paper but not quite card?

Many Thanks

HI and welcome to the forum...I am curious...what are chatterboxes? It might help if I knew what one was...then I might be able to make some suggestions as to sources of materials....without knowing what a chatterbox is (other than a talkative person) I don't know what kind of weight , size and type of card you might need.

Comment

I had to google it...so you probably want scrapbooking weight paper? Sounds like a fun thing to do! Sorry I can't suggest where to get it "over there." Have you simply gone to a near by craft store to look at the paper they have on hand? I wonder - maybe pretty printer paper at local office supply stores?

Comment

I googled it too...I used to play with these when I was a kid (many moons ago) but I don't think we ever called them chatterboxes...Of course once I saw waht thyey were I had to grab a piece of square paper and give it a go... I used 6x6 square of 160gsm patterned paper from a standard paper pack and it worked brilliantly. Any thicker than that and I think it could get difficult to make all the folds... Any craft store or stationers should sell what you need. Have fun

C

Comment

Thankyou! I didn't know what they were called either until recently! Ha ha. In case you were wandering I am using them for my wedding to Write the menu on, so starter under one flap etc. So seeing as I have quite a few to make I wanted the paper already square but keep coming across A4 everytime I google...

Comment

Originally posted by exploringem View Post
            Thankyou! I didn't know what they were called either until recently! Ha ha. In case you were wandering I am using them for my wedding to Write the menu on, so starter under one flap etc. So seeing as I have quite a few to make I wanted the paper already square but keep coming across A4 everytime I google...
            What a fabulous idea for your wedding...when is the big day?

I'm guessing you will probabaly need to go for paper packs and depending on how much info you need to write on them will depend on the size you need. The one I made with 6x6 is quite small so I'm guessing you would need at least 8x8 or maybe even 12x12... I have several paper and card stacks...the card would be too stiff for the number of folds needed so I'm guessing you need premium paper stacks...usually 48 sheets per stack. Often they come in patterned one side only, although you can get double sided. Martha Stewart do some gorgeous plain paper stacks (I have blue and green pastels but not sure where you would buy MS packs in UK - I got mine in the USA) I would suggest maybe crafty charlie as a good place to start looking, mainly because they do taster packs. I wish you luck in your search...

Comment

I googled it too. I used to love these when I was a child, played with them for hours, but I never knew what they were called.
              Celia
              I can't be creative and tidy too
              www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
              The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
              Jencel on Facebook

Comment

Hi There, I'm a papercrafter too, and I get most of my paper and card stock from The Range or Hobbycraft, both stores have paper and card Stacks, either plain or patterned, and are resonable in cost. They usually have A6 and A5 size, or Square packs approx. 8x8 or 12 x 12. Sounds like you're going to be busy! Good Luck and hope your wedding is perfect for you.
                Charliebubbles xx

Comment

When I had my physical shop a couple of customers used to make these and used our 12x12 scrapbook papers. It's definitely better to go into a shop so that you can feel the paper thicknesses as they do vary quite a bit depending on design and manufacturer, I would imagine virtually every craft shop will sell 12x12 sheets and they usually have a large selection of patterned and plain available. If you're searching online you'll probably find a number of craft shops don't sell that size due to Royal Mail's pricing policy - 1 sheet would cost about £1.40 to post as it's to big to go as a large letter.

Good luck with your wedding
                  Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

I still do not know what are chatterboxes ! I can explain this phenomenon: English is not my first language; I am getting older; I always read the threads at high speed. So this is what I got: someone is going to get married (Congratulations!) Chatterboxes are some kind of boxes made of paper and they can be given as souveniers (Am I right ?) Now, what are they used for? And,finally, does anyone know the name in Spanish so I can look for it in Google images?

Comment

Originally posted by lauramy View Post
                      I still do not know what are chatterboxes ! I can explain this phenomenon: English is not my first language; I am getting older; I always read the threads at high speed. So this is what I got: someone is going to get married (Congratulations!) Chatterboxes are some kind of boxes made of paper and they can be given as souveniers (Am I right ?) Now, what are they used for? And,finally, does anyone know the name in Spanish so I can look for it in Google images?
                      This is what a chatterbox looks like and how to make one.

http://fiskarscraft.typepad.com/my_w...rboxfortu.html

Comment

I used to make these as did my children. We called them fortune tellers, you can find what they are and how to make them here.

http://www.momsminivan.com/article-cootie-catcher.html

Jan x
                        My Blog http://handcraftedbypicto.blogspot.com/
                        My Facebook http://www.facebook.com/HandcraftedbyPicto
                        My Folksyhttp://www.folksy.com/shops/HandcraftedbyPicto
                        My Wow Thank Youhttp://www.wowthankyou.co.uk/handcrafted-by-picto

Comment

I too did not call them chatter boxes when I was little. More likely I would call it a fortune teller or words to that effect.

This is one made up.

And how to make one:

View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Thank you all so much for all your help and interest! What a lovely forum this is! I am getting married on September the 3rd! I'm sorry I dont know the spanish... I did try and post a link but I am not allowed to do this on this forum yet.

Thanks everyone once again and I will try and post a photo of the finished item nearer the time!x.

Comment

Yes! Thanks you all for the answers and videos and images. You are very kind. I played with them when I was a child. We asked a question aloud. Then we opened and closed it until a kid said "Stop". Inside we previously had written. "Yes- No". We also used it with the words: "Heaven- Hell" to know about someone destiny. I still do not remember the name in Spanish!!! But thanks you all I remembered some games and friends of my childhood.

Comment

Working...
                              X