Can I varnish decoupage over gloss paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I varnish decoupage over gloss paint

Hi. My husband and I, that sounds royal !! we are renovating a desk my daughter has bought for her little girl.We have sanded, primed, Etc painted with white gloss and it looks fabulous. I am going to add a little bit of decoupage of fairies to top. Can we seal the top with a clear varnish. Any ideas welcome. Thank you

Just realised decoupage might not work on gloss finish. Will have to think of another idea maybe

Comment

Why would decoupage not work on a gloss finish?...

Dave.

Comment

I thought the gloss wouldn’t be a good surface, am I wrong. Always willing to learn

Comment

There is probably less “Key” than on a matt or sanded surface, I suppose it depends on if it has to see any wear or just decoration. If you are going to varnish the whole project at the end then I’d have thought that taking the shine off first wouldn’t be a bad thing before you decoupage it.

Dave.

Comment

Excellent advice. Thanks so much

Comment

I used gloss paint without thinking it through and was then past the point of no return. As I only wanted to decoupage a section of the unit like yourself, I used very fine sandpaper (220) over just that part of the surface I was going to decoupage and it all looked lovely.

Comment

Thank you I have only just seen this post

Comment

Working...
                X