Anyone know the Cricut Joy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know the Cricut Joy?

I'm new to crafts, very new to the Cricut Joy having unboxed it yesterday and very flipping frustrated. It came with no instructions at all so I've been on YouTube all day to try and get some answers. There's lots of unboxing tutorials but then it seems to switch to ones that assume you know more than I do. I can't find anything that addresses what I want to know.

What I want to do is insert A3 length card (so long and narrow seeing as the machine only takes up to 4.5" wide). I want to create a picture to cut out in the middle of the length of the card. I've not tried inserting anything that long yet as I'm not sure how it will cut as the grid is only very short.

Problem 1 - Even if I create the image in the middle of the design grid, when I go to cut the image it moves the image to the top right corner of the grid and cuts it out at the top left corner of the card.

Problem 2 - As well as above it also changes the order of the words. I thought by using the 'group' button it would keep them in order. It doesn't.

Problem 3 - When I cut out b's, d's, o's etc they are just gaps as the middle is missing. I guess if you are using vinyl you keep the middle bits but I'm using card so they just look odd. Are there recommended fonts for use on card?

Can anyone help please?
    Last edited by SnuffleMonkey; 30-04-2020, 10:53 PM.

Hello,

I am sorry I don't know anything about this type of machine, I use a gemini and dies.

There is not much activity here these days, I suggest you find a Cricut Joy group on FB, there will probably be help there.

Something like this https://www.facebook.com/groups/397046684451465/

Shelley

Comment

Hiya,

I don't have a Cricut Joy, but have a Cricut Maker.

When you click 'Make It' and it takes you to the mat page, can you change the material size on the left hand side?
      And if you select the image to cut that appears on the mat screen can you move it around?
      For maker I can move the image to wherever I want on the matts I use, so would have hoped it would be the same for the Joy (thought about getting one).

Not sure if its the same for Joy but if you select all the words (placed in the order you want on the screen) you click 'attach' bottom right hand corner.
      If you want to join lettering up so it looks like joined up handwriting, 'Ungroup' them under advanced, move them where you want them and then click weld.
      Although once welded you can only 'un-weld' them straight away with pressing 'undo'.
      Otherwise you need to start over.

Fonts for me have been a trial and error more so for if you want to use small fonts - that's a tricky one.
      Is it small words you are trying to cut?

Rachel

Comment

Originally posted by Lilly42 View Post
        Hello,

I am sorry I don't know anything about this type of machine, I use a gemini and dies.

There is not much activity here these days, I suggest you find a Cricut Joy group on FB, there will probably be help there.

Something like this https://www.facebook.com/groups/397046684451465/

Shelley
        Thanks Shelley :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Kerbys View Post
          Hiya,

I don't have a Cricut Joy, but have a Cricut Maker.

When you click 'Make It' and it takes you to the mat page, can you change the material size on the left hand side?
          And if you select the image to cut that appears on the mat screen can you move it around?
          For maker I can move the image to wherever I want on the matts I use, so would have hoped it would be the same for the Joy (thought about getting one).

Not sure if its the same for Joy but if you select all the words (placed in the order you want on the screen) you click 'attach' bottom right hand corner.
          If you want to join lettering up so it looks like joined up handwriting, 'Ungroup' them under advanced, move them where you want them and then click weld.
          Although once welded you can only 'un-weld' them straight away with pressing 'undo'.
          Otherwise you need to start over.

Fonts for me have been a trial and error more so for if you want to use small fonts - that's a tricky one.
          Is it small words you are trying to cut?

Rachel
          Hi Rachel

Many thanks for your advice, much appreciated! I'll try adjusting it when I've pressed 'make it' it just seems a funny place to me to adjust it but I suppose its because its reminding me of word/print preview and by the print preview screen its showing you the finished article if you see what I mean?

I *think* I've got to grips with the welding thing but yes I've found out the hard way I can only undo straight away else I'm stuck with it!!

Not particularly small, its my logo/name so probably 3" by 2" but I'm finding anything with o's, b's, d's etc just look odd when die cut in card as they are just big gaps. The o especially!

So if I want to use A3 length card, and the mat is obviously only 8" long, do I feed the excess card through the machine and it will stop at the point I have the mat placed if that makes sense? It's like the A3 length is a banner and I want the cut out in the middle of the length.

I must have watched hours and hours of tutorials the last few days some better than others but I still find that they expect a level of knowledge when I need a complete novice approach. I can't believe they come without any instructions at all.

Comment

Working...
          X