Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paint problems

Hi

I was wondering if anyone is able to help me.

I am wanting to personalise my pets bowls with their names. The only problem is their bowls are made of stainless steel and I cant seem to find a paint that will stay on any suggestions?

I got the idea from browsing on the web and have seen a few pics of people who have done it and I am not having any luck.

Any help would be greatful

Thanks
    Jo

Hello!

I am not sure, but I am asking to find out for you! hopefully will be back with a response soon!

s.x
    Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

hi again,

so the word is this:

"As a general rule, stainless, doesn't hold common paints well. The metal palette knives I have are stainless and the paint generally peals off fairly easily (not that it falls off). It has been a while, but it seems to me that the stainless steel industrial cabinets I used to deal with had to have a special epoxy paint ($$). It also depends on the grade of stainless steel. I do know that there are adhesives that stick remarkably well to stainless so you might be able to apply some sort of other medium that will hold the acrylic better. You might find out more from a shop that makes road signs. In the end, I guess it depends on why stainless steel and what environment will it be in."
      (Courtesy of Bill_E, from another forum)

another suggestion could be to scrub the surface to roughen it up, but I guess if you're only doing it to paint names it may not quite have the desired effect, but it would probably make it stick so it doesnt come off. I think the general thinkjing is that bcoz of the surface type of stainless steel paints in general could peel off, unless of course you use the really expensive types that they use for industrial purposes!

Maybe you could get some different bowls, thay have a more matt finish to them.

sorry!

s.x
      Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

How about glass paints.... after all they stick to glass OK :-)
        Craftville: Free Craft Downloads
        No Membership just visit & Browse
        Craftville.com

Comment

try these :
          1. Use a high quality, oil-based paint, and either spray, brush, or roll it on depending on the final texture you are trying to achieve.
          2. Visit a professional powder coater (look in the yellow pages). This is an electrostatic process where plastic/epoxy powder is deposited in a very thin layer all over the surface and then baked on. The advantages of powder coating are flexibility, a very wide range of colors and textures, and the ability of the powder to adhere into small voids and cracks on the surface with out drips or runs.
          3. Get the right wax. Many high quality waxes are on the market today that are especially made for metalwork.
          4. Choose the perfect patina. These are chemical formulations made to cause surface changes and coloration to metal. Some are used hot, while others are applied cold, there are many to choose from and they also allow you to highlight your project while maintaining a natural finish. Often waxes are applied afterwards to provide a final seal.
          5. Varnish your metal. Marine varnish is another way to put a final coat on your metalwork. Varnish has the advantage of being easy and forgiving to apply, however your work will have an obvious "clear coated" look that is not always desirable. Varnish is very easy to touch up later and to redo as maintenance at a later date without changing the overall finish.
          6. Try nail polish. For painting small areas or writing on your metal, nail polish sticks very well and looks great. It comes in every shade imaginable, though, red hues are more widely available.
          i hope it helps!! GOOD LUCK
          Unique Handmade Gifts

Comment

Hi Jo, I don't have a professional answer, but if it was me doing it, I would go to a DIY shop and look for paint that can be used on metal, something like 'radiator paint', but there may be something more appropriate.

No offence to the person for their suggestions regarding glass paint, but I don't think it would stay on Stainless Steel, I think it would peel off. I've quite a lot of experience with glass paint.

Now if you were deciding to paint their names on ceramic bowls, then Pebeo ceramic paint would be ideal !

Debbie
            www.beadservice.net
            On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

The best paint to use is Marabu Ceramica Ceramic paint as you can bake it in the oven to cure. This way it will last considerably longer than ordinary paints.

I sell it on my website if you are interested - see link below.

Good luck with your project!

Leona x
              Teaching Art & Craft Projects for a Decade!
              http://www.artistsresource.co.uk

FREE Live Art Tutorials - Wednesdays 7pm - HERE: Youtube
              Instagram| Facebook| Twitter

Comment

Have you considered putting the names onto some kind of label/plaque and then glueing that to the bowl?

By the way, how on earth did you manage to find pets clever enough to read their names? I have to get one of those!
                Daesul

http://www.clairemanwani.com
                http://www.folksy.com/shops/clairemanwani
                http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ClaireManwaniPottery

Comment

I'd engrave them on instead, with a Dremel or similar. Paint won't stick worth a damn...
                  Cheers,
                  Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
                  Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

I used to paint miniature metal plates for dollshouses. When I was looking for a way to make the paint adhere to the metal, it was suggested i first soak the metal in a wahing up liquid and water mix, remove from the mix without touching the area to be painted and leave to dry naturally. Then to use an enamel paint. Wilkinsons do small pots of enamel paints in many different colours.

The only problem is that this will scratch off so a scourer shouldn't be used to clean it.

I'm not saying this will work for you as the items I painted were miniatures, more of problem in full size work I realise.

The other ide would be to paint your designs, scan them into your computer and produce them in transfer medium (waterslide decals), put them onto your bowls then use a spray varnish fixtive.

I do think you would get better results using plastic bowls - cheaper to buy also.

Good luck with your project.

Comment

Working...
                    X