Painting a game controller - advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting a game controller - advice needed

Hi all. First time poster here, and wondering if somebody could give me some advice and help on a stumbling block I've come across on a project I'd like to undertake please?

I'm going to be modifying a game controller by changing it's colour. The one in question is this:

ds41.jpg

The problem I have is that once I've repsrayed it (Plasti-Kote) I want to give it the two differing finishes that it currently has i.e Matt and Gloss.

The stumbling block is this area here around the directional buttons:

ds42.jpg

I'm not sure if it's clearly visible or not, but there is a circle of high-gloss clear coat around the buttons but there are four arrows that are 'cut out' to reveal the same matt finish underneath as the rest of the controller.

How would you guys go about achieving this finish? Would you apply a circle of (Plasti-Kote) gloss acrylic lacquer first and then lay a mask over the top protecting the gloss areas and then somehow try and get a matt finish to adhere to the gloss lacquer underneath for the four small arrows?

Obviously I can't create a mask for the gloss lacquer with the arrows included as they aren't 'attached' to any part of the circle.

Not sure if I'm describing it very well lol. :/

Any help on this project would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

just take the ps4 controller apart and spray them all separate.

no idea how you'd replicate the matt/gloss effects on the same area.

Comment

Originally posted by chimeracraft View Post
      just take the ps4 controller apart and spray them all separate.

no idea how you'd replicate the matt/gloss effects on the same area.
      Thanks Chimera. Yes I was going to dismantle the controller anyway before spraying the shell.

Comment

to the forum.
        Lucy Blossom
        Shop and blog: http://www.lucyblossomcrafts.co.uk
        https://www.facebook.com/LucyBlossomCrafts

Comment

Thanks Lucy!

Comment

Welcome to the forum. If you are spraying the body then I would be careful about spraying on the holes where the buttons fit through because they may stick if they are a precise fit. If the user of the controller is wearing rings then the paint finish on the sides that the fingers wrap around might not last very long because of the way the controller is gripped. Would you need to "Key" the plastic first for a good paint adhesion or use a self etch spray? Just a thought.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by 3dDave View Post
              Welcome to the forum. If you are spraying the body then I would be careful about spraying on the holes where the buttons fit through because they may stick if they are a precise fit. If the user of the controller is wearing rings then the paint finish on the sides that the fingers wrap around might not last very long because of the way the controller is gripped. Would you need to "Key" the plastic first for a good paint adhesion or use a self etch spray? Just a thought.

Dave.
              Hi Dave and thanks!

There's generous leeway between the hole's edges and buttons so no worries there. I'll be giving it a light sanding prior to using a plastic primer to aid adhesion for the plasti-kote colour and then will be using a few coats of the Super Clear Acrylic in both Matt and Gloss for the protective clear coats.

It's just replicating the small directional arrows that is posing a problem.

I think I might make a mask for them and just hope that I can get a layer of matt clear coat to adhere to the gloss clear coat to achieve that contrasting effect.

Comment

Looks like you've got it covered then (pardon the pun) and the clear coats should do the trick. Trouble is, I'm thinking, is what ever you use for the arrows, they are the buttons that have the most wear. Can you not buy custom coloured plastic buttons from gaming accessories sites, just for the buttons? I used to buy controllers years ago for next to nothing when the kids were younger because the units were always getting trod on or whatever, usually non playstation originals but in all funky colours. Might be worth buying a cheapy just for the buttons? Post some snaps when it is finished.

Dave.
                Last edited by 3dDave; 09-11-2013, 03:27 PM.

Comment

You need a ps4 controller?

Comment

i guess you need to be careful when you paint the ps4 controller because maybe you will screw it, and it won't work anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X