Acrylics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acrylics

Any advice on using acrylics. I use oils at the mo, but someone said I should try acrylics, although from what I've read they are very different!

i'm all up for giving them ago!

ty.x
    Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

I have found acrylics very easy.Much so than oils but I paint fast anyway.They do dry a lot faster.I buy tester pots at anywhere they sell paint. You can mix scumble glaze to make you paint dry slower.I paint on wood most of the time and do a lot of crackle finishes. When I have finished with my work I just coat it with a few coats of water base varnish.when I paint on canvas and I want it to look kinda like a oil painting I paint the canvas with a thick coat of jesso but make it a little lumpy and bumpy by not evening it out.Then when its dry just paint my pic.I started out doing one stroke but didn't like it becouse everyone elces looked the same so I took when I learned from one stroke and did my own thing to make my painting look different
    Shabby Neesey

Comment

I bought some acrylics this morning yey! they really do dry fast! I have bought some stuff also that is a control medium, it says it stops the acrylics from bleeding..I am hoping it does the job as I want to create some geometric lines on my canvas with some masking tape!

***here's for experimenting***

Also I saw some metalic paints, now the magpie in me is very excited about this! but they perhaps will have to wait till pay day or until i have sold a painting! lol

Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

I used to only paint with watercolours, but recently, I've been trying my hand at acrylics. Still trying to get out of the habit of watercolour techniques, but I'm really enjoying how much bolder acrylics are in colour compared to watercolours

Comment

I know its tough changing to new mediums. I've found it difficult adjusting to the speedy drying time if acrylics, oils dry sooooo slowly & are more 'moveable'!

I've been trying to jump straight into doing paintings with the acrylics, but i've decided to 'learn' about them first instead and practice different techniques and materials on some old canvas paper I have, that way it doesnt matter if looks awful, but maybe just maybe a good painting might happen!

s.x
          Sophie.x

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

OOOH. I have to share...unless I have been really quite slow and others know already! I have just found out that you can get glass bead gel medium, it looks great! I want, I want!
            Sophie.x

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

I have to say that acrylics are great. This is the only medium that I now use! The fact that they dry fast is a bonus to me, I like to finish a painting in one go and when I used to list my full size art on ebay I would often paint during the day, then photograph and list in the evening.

Another advantage with fast drying is that if youy don't like it you can repaint the picture within minutes. With acrylics as well, you can water the paint down so still achieve transparent washes asnd then with the same paint pile it on for great impasto.

Andrew
              Remember a long road is best travelled with plenty of breaks.

Even the best of us make mistakes!

Comment

I like acrylics too... not as good a smell as oils granted but the quick drying time its very helpful. Especially when you haven't got all day to paint with small children about. or days or even months to wait for oils to dry.
                Visit my blog Meridian Ariel or my Etsy Shop

Comment

Hi

Acrylics are really quite easy to use. Give good results. And colour combinations are easy to manage.
                  http://myartcreations.blogspot.com

Comment

Acrylics have their own advantages, characteristics, and unique possibilities. Here you'll find helpful tips, essential techniques, and step-by-step demonstrations on using acrylic paints for artists of all levels.
                    -----------------------
                    rohn

Comment

I like them, myself - will paint on almost anything, don't smell, mix well, wash off with water when wet, and can be used thick or watered-down. Suits me...
                      Cheers,
                      Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
                      Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

FWIW I've just bought some acrylics in Sainsbury's that were 75% off!! And I've got some canvases from H-craft that were 50% off, so I can't wait to give them a go!

Comment

Hi everyone,

I used to buy my acrylics at the local art shop but as I paint a lot the average shopping was £50 a week so I 've started to buy them online and recommend everyone does the same it gets so much cheaper (eg. in the shop large tub of white paint 250mm costs around £7 and online I have bought 750mm for £6!!! 3 times bigger and even cheaper!!!
                          Crazy! I use Great Art and they were pretty fast and if you are ordering over £80 the delivery is free. Ah and last time I've bought form them they were givving sketchbooks away with each order!!!
                          Other place I have looked at is disountart and budgetartsupplies

Comment

I am a massive fan of Acrylic paint - well, actually paint in general gets me going! There's paint for glass painting, paint for ceramic painting, paint for fabric painting and paint with glitter in it!! I have a thing for certain paints that are gorgeous textures and look good enough to eat!

If you are interested in watching some free videos that help you with using paints, just see my website

www.artistsresource.co.uk

All the best!!

Leona xx
                            Teaching Art & Craft Projects for a Decade!
                            http://www.artistsresource.co.uk

FREE Live Art Tutorials - Wednesdays 7pm - HERE: Youtube
                            Instagram| Facebook| Twitter

Comment

Hi all, I love playing around, try Acrylic paint and ink you can get some amazing effects, also Gouache paint with water colour paint.
                              Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X