Ads

Collapse

Getting inspiration and ideas for paintings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • somerset artist
    100+ crafts club
    • Feb 2008

Getting inspiration and ideas for paintings.

Just wondering how other artists here get their ideas and/or inspiration. Living as I do in Somerset it is very easy for me to go around for an hour or two and take a load of digital images. Within a very short ride I have rivers, fields churches, the Levels etc. all of which provide some great inspiration.

Once I get home the images go onto the computer and then I just print out those i wish to have a go at painting. I once though about putting some images together into book form along with a few notes for those who aren't as lucky, or house bound in some way.

How do you get your inspiration?

Andrew

By the way, every masterpiece started life as a blank canvas!!
    Remember a long road is best travelled with plenty of breaks.

Even the best of us make mistakes!
  • onlyme
    Super crafter
    • Jul 2008

I guess it depends on what you want to paint? If it's a pet portrait, then there's no problem. The stuff I paint for myself is generally just plucked from my imagination (I have a very vivid imagination!) However, if you asked me to stand and paint a scenery then I'd be stumped, because I hate painting scenery (unless I've dreamed it up!)
    Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Comment

• somerset artist
      100+ crafts club
      • Feb 2008

Yes, horses for courses as they say. Talking about pet portraits, I have been doing a number recently and there seems to be more cat commissions than any other. A year or so back I went through a phase of doing a lot of horse portraits, and I get my fair share of dog ones as well, but for some reason this year cats seem to be the norm.

I don't as a rule like standing in the middle of a field and painting that way, but I tried it earlier this year and it was great fun. However it is easier to take a picture and move on to the next location.

I used to paint from my imagination but I find now that that is becoming more difficult - could be my age !!!!

Andrew
      Remember a long road is best travelled with plenty of breaks.

Even the best of us make mistakes!

Comment

• Fluffy Squirrel
        Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
        • Mar 2008

I was just about to start a new thread when I came across this one.

I started acrylic painting and watercolour painting last year and initially I had lots of ideas but now inspiration is running dry.

I've just discovered that I'm in the early stages of pregnancy and due to previous miscarriages I've been told that we are considered "high risk" so I am under doctors orders to rest and relax as much as possible, therefore I'm hoping to take the opportunity to progress with my artwork.

At the moment though I'm lacking inspiration and although my main focus tends to be angels and fairies (I'm not too good with landscapes) I was wondering if anyone could offer anywhere that I might get some inspiration??

Comment

• C Hupfield Ceramics
          Super crafter
          • Feb 2009

The only advice I can think to offer regarding landscape painting is to physically get out there! Go for walks in different natural areas, take notice of everything around you, including the small details.

Take lots of photographs! You don't necessarily have to work from one photo and 'copy' it... you could gather a selection of different photos and take sections from each of them to form your own creative landscape.

Look at other artists work and take notice of the different types of styles used, as each style creates a different mood or effect to the painting.

I used to do abstract 'organic painting', and would go for walks in the countryside and collect items as well as taking photographs.

I worked with a mixed-media painter for a couple of days once, and found her way of working so inspirational. She would collect magazine cuttings/images/text/materials and store them in different boxes in her studio. She would then perhaps start by roughly painting an abstract outline on quite a big piece of board - for instance a close up scene of pond reeds, a patch of water and a tree coming into the composition. Then she would build up the surface by sticking down bits of coloured magazine trimmings and drawing on top with oil pastels. Acrylic paint was usually the main ingredient but she also used things such as a hot glue gun to create a raised shimmering effect. I love paintings with lots going on in them Can you tell?

Comment

• C Hupfield Ceramics
            Super crafter
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Fluffy Squirrel View Post
            I was just about to start a new thread when I came across this one.

I started acrylic painting and watercolour painting last year and initially I had lots of ideas but now inspiration is running dry.

I've just discovered that I'm in the early stages of pregnancy and due to previous miscarriages I've been told that we are considered "high risk" so I am under doctors orders to rest and relax as much as possible, therefore I'm hoping to take the opportunity to progress with my artwork.

At the moment though I'm lacking inspiration and although my main focus tends to be angels and fairies (I'm not too good with landscapes) I was wondering if anyone could offer anywhere that I might get some inspiration??
            Hope the pregnancy is going well!

Have you tried searching google images for angels and fairies?

Comment

• Fluffy Squirrel
              Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
              • Mar 2008

So far everything is ok, as far as we know... got our first appointment with our midwife on 20th April so should know more then. Only about five weeks at the moment but because of history they want to monitor us very closely and as you can imagine we are both very nervous!!

I've had a quick look on Google images, but need to look more in depth I think.

Thank you for your very helpful information and ideas

Comment

• Peter
                Super mega big crafter
                • Jan 2006

Try to stay on topic guys.

Comment

• jw universe
                  Moderate crafter
                  • Apr 2009

I like to research... things. I just pick up a book in the library that I fancy and soak up the info, or look on the internet. For example, I saw some really cool photos of insects recently, some people might think "blech, bugs" but it's amazing the colours and shapes you can get, they could make really nice art pictures. I've done some pet portraits but they are normally cats and dogs, I would love it if someone were to go "here are some photos of my pet bug/ turtle/ fish, please draw it", that would make a nice but unlikely change.

I also just take in the world around me, like when I go for walks in the park. There are so many things that you could paint, they don't even have to be real Sometimes I just draw a shape and then challenge myself to turn it into different things; that's given me inspiration. Inspiration is everywhere!
                  www.jwuniverse.co.uk

Comment

• jendoylebridal
                    Moderate crafter
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by somerset artist View Post
                    Just wondering how other artists here get their ideas and/or inspiration. Living as I do in Somerset it is very easy for me to go around for an hour or two and take a load of digital images. Within a very short ride I have rivers, fields churches, the Levels etc. all of which provide some great inspiration.

Once I get home the images go onto the computer and then I just print out those i wish to have a go at painting. I once though about putting some images together into book form along with a few notes for those who aren't as lucky, or house bound in some way.

How do you get your inspiration?

Andrew

By the way, every masterpiece started life as a blank canvas!!

Hi,
                    I do a lot of painting with acrylics and watercolour, and for inspiration I only have to step outside my own door to see miles of rolling green hills and farmland, and then I am only 20 minutes from the most fabulous mountain and coastal scenary- I love doing landscapes- especially the ocean, and I also do pen and ink drawings straight from my imagination as well..

JD
                    www.doylejewellerydesign.blogspot.com

www.twitter.com/jendoylebridal

thank you if you click the scales to give me rep points!

Comment

Working...
                    X