Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being paid to knit something...

Hello (newbie alert here!)

I have been asked by someone to knit up a soft-toy pattern for a friend of their's who is willing to pay for the costs of the yarn together with cost for my time.

I have priced up the project and the yarn comes to £21.

BUT I have no idea as to what to charge for my time... I have searched online and some people say 2-3 times the material costs but I think this would be excessive for what it is.

Any suggestions...

Many thanks in advance!

Decide on an hourly rate e.g. £10 an hour and work on that.

Pete
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    Facebook

Website

Comment

Have a look at http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthr...g+for+knitting and then look at the threads that appear underneath at the end of the conversation.

Don't beat yourself up when you realise you'll be working for peanuts. Loads of us have been there. You'll probably make this toy because some things are more important than money - like pride, keeping your word, friendship. To keep sane I suggest you play mind games. Tell yourself you are on a learning curve. This is like an apprenticeship. Or you are making this toy in order to time your knitting so you'll be able to price up future projects properly. Or this is advertising. This is a good one. If you don't sell a single thing at a fair you can tell yourself "But I was advertising....."

And knit this toy with love. Don't hate it because your kind nature is battling your business sense.

Stay positive.
      Annie
      the girl who did a deal with a friend letting them pay old prices and has just calculated she's missing out on £100 on the deal ........ but what the heck it's money in my purse that wouldn't have been there if I'd charged the new prices.

Comment

Originally posted by bodrighy View Post
        Decide on an hourly rate e.g. £10 an hour and work on that.

Pete
        I agree. An hourly rate makes far more sense than multiplying the cost price. The cost price multiplication (in some cases) could leave you out of pocket. I would give the person a rough idea of cost before you start.

Comment

Working...
        X