wool suppliers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wool suppliers

I was wondering where people buy there wool from. Currently I'm buying from the local sewing/wool shop, but would like to know where else I could buy it, possibly wholesale, so that I could buy a wider range of colours and also in larger volumes (at some point in the future). Thanks in advance.

I only do a small amount of knitting and buy from ebay. I did contact King Cole directly and was told I'd have to order 15 kg minimum.

Marion

Comment

Are you looking for lower prices, or actual wholesale to sell on yourself?

If for lower prices online, I can recommend Kemps Wool Shop in the north-east - their discontinued lines are often absolute bargains; Black Sheep Wools in Culcheth near Warrington - their Craft Barn is an Aladdin's Cave - and Colormart in Shrewsbury which sells luxury and exotic unbranded yarns. They are all reliable in my experience. well-established and offer value for money. They are also all bricks and mortar and you can go there if you want.

Texere Yarns in Bradford also have a wonderful range of tarns and fibres and some of them are real bargains.

It all depends what sort of fibre you want, of course, but the above selection (sorry can't post links at the moment) will enable you to find anything from acrylic to cashmere-and-silk blends.

Comment

Thanks Eena. I'll investigate these. I have found Texere well stocked but pricey (mind you, that's because I'm using 100% Merino Wool so it's hard to find it cheaply). Thanks so much.

Marion

Comment

@ Eena, at the moment, I'm looking to compare prices and also see what other colours of wool mainly. I'll be using the wool to make items, which I will then sell on.

Thanks for the information, I will have a look at the sites.

Comment

Marion, keep an eye on Kemps sale section - check it once a week or so.

Sometimes it holds nothing but acrylic and 'fun' yarns seemingly for months on end, then one day you'll be checking through it and suddenly, in the middle of purple eyelash yarn and mustard pompoms, there'll be an absolute treasure at a silly silly price.

Mind you I buy quite a lot from Colourmart - merino/cashmere/silk blends usually; I know the quality I get from them, but it can be a bit intimidating at first to get the wool on cones with spinning oil still in it.

Comment

Originally posted by eena View Post
              Marion, keep an eye on Kemps sale section - check it once a week or so.

Sometimes it holds nothing but acrylic and 'fun' yarns seemingly for months on end, then one day you'll be checking through it and suddenly, in the middle of purple eyelash yarn and mustard pompoms, there'll be an absolute treasure at a silly silly price.

Mind you I buy quite a lot from Colourmart - merino/cashmere/silk blends usually; I know the quality I get from them, but it can be a bit intimidating at first to get the wool on cones with spinning oil still in it.
              Thanks for the tip, Eena - I'll keep checking Kemps.

Re colourmart - I kept being directed to a site where prices were in dollars so I presume the USA site. Am I clicking on the wrong link?

Also, I've never heard of spinning oil on wool - how do you get it off?

Marion

Comment

Working...
              X