cushion update!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cushion update!

I've managed to get enough hexagons ready to finish one side of my cushion, with a few left over to start the second side.

Here is where I was at:

2013-01-09 09.03.07.jpg
    a pile of hexagons and the diamonds turned into hexagons:
    2013-01-09 14.34.21.jpg2013-01-09 14.34.34.jpg
    more diamonds that need to become hexagons:
    2013-01-09 14.35.07.jpg
    how big I have to make it:
    2013-01-09 14.37.03.jpg and I actually have added one hexagon2013-01-09 14.33.56.jpg
    Attached Files
    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Thats alot of work! I like the idea of a cushion made up of those shapes, with funny edges.Will the edges be straight?
    https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

is it lazy of me to say I won't be making the edges straight because I can't be bothered to work out what shapes I'd need? I also think the cushion will be more fun without the straight edges.

I've managed to add another 3 hexagons while watching peppa pig. I needed a break from the knitting I am also in the middle of.
      View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

WOW, that's impressive!!! It looks like a lot of work! You've done beautifully - won't it be fantastic when it's finished!? I vote for "not straight" edges, too...

Comment

Not lazy at all!!Itl look great with uneven shapes around th edge, really fun.Kids would love it.Cant wai to see it finished.
          https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

You can have the best of both worlds Indri. If you lay your patchwork out on a plain piece of fabric then sew all round the edges attaching the patchwork to the fabric, you can cut out the middle of the plain fabric about quarter of inch from sewing so that you still only have your single thickness under patchwork and the squared off edge is just another piece atached as patchwork if that makes any sense. You end up with your pointy shapes still but a square finish to your cushion.
            Carol
            God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Lovely Indri. Looks like it's progressing a bit faster than my patchwork......It's now about the size of a pram cover ( was going to be a king size quilt ) I started it when I lived in Bristol and we moved from there in 1979 !!!!!!!! maybe I should make it a New Years Resolution to finish it or maybe just leave it as a pram cover LOL

Mo.XX
              Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
              Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
              www.bodrighy.co.uk
              https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Make it a single bed size Mo instead. Lol. As for square or wobbly sides I'll give it some thought. I've gone back to stitching diamonds togeresther so i can get on properly with the rest of it.
                View my flickr

Comment

It's growing! Still a long way to go though.

2013-01-16 22.04.18.jpg
                  View my flickr

Comment

oh well done it's looking great
                    So many projects, so little time

http://folksy.com/shops/eileenscraftstudio

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fol...92535377497013

Comment

I'm going to sew a few more hexagons together and then I need to make some more hexagons because I am getting low on hexagons. I am going to make the ridiculous attempt of not starting any other craft projects until this and the cross stitch I have on the go at work are complete. Then and only then can I do some of the other things on my list. Do you think I will manage it?
                      View my flickr

Comment

Time for another update!

I've spent the best part of the last week cutting out more hexagons and diamonds for this cushion. I haven't got any photos yet to show you my progress from the last week. I have got all of them papered and have proceeded to sew the diamonds together to make hexagons (or as I now call them diamonded hexagons which I shorten to dia-hex - do you think it'll catch on?). Once I get the dia-hex's all finished I'll start on side 2. Hopefully that will happen sometime this week. I'll keep you all posted! It's good for me to keep you updated - it makes sure I actually do this and not get distracted by other projects on my to do list for the year.
                        View my flickr

Comment

More pics for anyone that is interested. Here is side 1 2013-01-30 06.58.49.jpg

I've started on side 2 and here it is!2013-01-30 06.58.18.jpg
                          View my flickr

Comment

Looking good. I did a table runner with that type of design but dif. colours. I had forgotten about it. You have a hexigon in the second pic made up of 3 diamonds, that design is called Tumbling blocks and look very effective in a panel. I have one on a quilt somewhere, if you want to see it I will try to find it.
                            Carol
                            God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Oh tumbling blocks eh? I was calling them diamonded hexagons which I shortened to dia-hex!!!
                              View my flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X