Smell like a sheep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smell like a sheep

I love the aromas of the countryside, grass, hay, silage, animals, however I think there is a place for them and I'd rather it wasn't on me!
    I was a very lucky girl this year and for Christmas I was given a waterfall cardigan in British wool Looks like herdwick sheep colours from woolyknit.com
    it's beautiful, floaty and wonderful to wear, but it comes with added aroma of sheep. Will the aroma go away if I give it a handwash as directed?
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

I like sheep. I can't help with whether the smell will go, I expect it might, but I'd just like to share with you that I like sheep, and when the midwife came round my house after Rhiannon was born she got rather scared by all the sheep that were lurking and told me that she had thought I was quite sensible until she saw all the sheep.
    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Originally posted by beadsbydesign View Post
      I love the aromas of the countryside, grass, hay, silage, animals,
      I do too but draw the line at silage though!
      Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Hmm agree countryside smells are good but never had sheep frequently smell of horse though, I don;t mind but not sure would want to wear it. I would have thought a gentle wash in dreft with softener should cure the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post
          I do too but draw the line at silage though!
          silage is just so sweet!

Comment

it's muck spreading that makes me heave!

Comment

I love the smell of sheep! I love to get a cone of not-heavily-processed wool and bury my nose in it - warm, comforting, nostalgic.

Every time you wash it it will smell of sheep again - wet sheep, no less, which even I can find a bit acrid - but once it's dry, the smell will reduce over time. If it's really bugging you, it's because you are so close to it when you are wearing it and your body warmth makes the aroma rise into your nostrils.

Wash it by all means; when it is fully dry you might want to store it in a paper bag with some lavender heads, cedar balls or other aromatic natural 'things' before and between wearings. A couple of drops of lavender, eucalyptus or similar essential oil in the final rinse might help, too.

Comment

Thank you for that.

Comment

Not sure I could live with the permanent smell of sheep either. Hope you find something that works BBD.

Welcome back to the forum EENA.

Mo.XX
                  Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                  Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
                  www.bodrighy.co.uk
                  https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

I'd like to suggest that you have it dry cleaned. You'll be far more likely to still have the lovely feel and look of it afterwards.

Basically its the lanolin you're smelling, and it takes a good while to get rid of it through hand washing.

Comment

Working...
                    X