Please help.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help.....

.... I have recently bought a cross-stitch kit for a baby's quilt (my sister is having a baby in January) but the problem I have is that you have to stitch through the quilt so the underside of the quilt will have the messy stitching. (does that make sense?)

How do I make it look neat?

Should I buy some material to stitch on to the back to make it look neat and if so, what sort of material should I get as it has to be baby friendly?

Any help would be great
    Debs

My website: www.debeadz.co.uk

My blog: www.debeadz.blogspot.com

what does the underside currently look like?
    if it is wadding then you will certainly have to add a backing. Either use cotton sheeting or brushed cotton (nice and cosy).

If the quilt already has a back to it, the you can in and out stitch with out having to go right through the quilt.

Peter might be able to help a little more.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Thanks, I will give it some thought.

The quilt has backing already and the pattern has been printed on the top but as I am not that great at cross-stitch think that backing it might take the stress out of having to make the underside neat too

The baby's not due until the January but think it might take me that long to complete
      Debs

Comment

Originally posted by Debeadz View Post

The baby's not due until the January but think it might take me that long to complete
        While I was pregnant with Eden, my mum began a gorgeous cross stich Beatrix Potter picture for her. She finally got it for her 5th birthday!
        full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

I think that might happen to me! Eek!!
          I'm busy doing other stuff so am trying to fit it in as and when
          Debs

Comment

If you are using lots of brightly coloured threads, a colourful busy patterned backing will often hide the threads. In contrast a pale solid colour backing will show up all the different coloured threads.

First complete the crossstitch then if you don't think it is neat enough you have the option of covering it - with practice you might surprise yourself. Use a hoop for even stitches and keep the fabric taunt.

If you are not confident with your cross stitch, it may be best to add an additional backing to cover the stitches on the back.

Good Luck

Comment

Working...
            X