Newbie needs help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie needs help

I'm trying to crochet a beanie for my daughter. I'm following a pattern/instructions from youtube. The lady is using Australian 8ply, which I thought was the same a DK. It seems a bit loose and it's coming up smaller than hers. I'm using a 4mm hook the same as her. Am I using the wrong yarn or do I just need more practice to get the tension tighter, which would make it smaller?

Welcome to the forum. I don't know anything about Australian yarns but it sounds like yours should be thicker. If you use a smaller hook the item will be smaller again so the hook would be right and the yarn wrong. Perhaps an Aran or similar thickness would be the equivalent.
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

8 ply is the same as our DK.

you may be doing the wrong stitches, as sometimes the pattern could be in the American terminology.

When the American stitch says double it is the same as our treble
      American single is the same as our double.

When doing patterns you need to check this as the item may turn out the wrong size.

Here is a quick beanie pattern from the top of my head.

chain 4, slp stitch to form a ring.
      Chain 3, 11 treble into ring, slip to 3rd chain (12 stitches)
      Chain 1, 2 treble in each stitch to end, slip to beginning treble( missing out the 1 chain (24 stitches)
      Chain 1, 2 treble in first, 1 treble in next, 2 treble in next, repeat to the end, slip to first treble( missing the 1 chain)(36 stitches) - so you go 2,1,2
      Chain 1, 2 treble in first, 1 treble in next 2 stitches, 2 treble in next, 1 treble in next stitch, repeat to end, miss 1 chain and slip in first treble. - so you go 2,1,1,2,

the next row would go 2,1,1,1,2

Keep repeating this by adding on 1 stitch between the 2 treble stitches until the size you want then just work even on all the following rows until it is long enough.
      I hope that this makes sense.
      Sharon
      "nothing is impossible, the word itself says "I'm possible"!"
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Croche...25255760850096
      http://www.folksy.com/shops/CrochetCow
      www.crochetcow.co.uk (coming soon)

Comment

Originally posted by fairypop View Post
        8 ply is the same as our DK.

you may be doing the wrong stitches, as sometimes the pattern could be in the American terminology.

When the American stitch says double it is the same as our treble
        American single is the same as our double.

When doing patterns you need to check this as the item may turn out the wrong size.

Here is a quick beanie pattern from the top of my head.

chain 4, slp stitch to form a ring.
        Chain 3, 11 treble into ring, slip to 3rd chain (12 stitches)
        Chain 1, 2 treble in each stitch to end, slip to beginning treble( missing out the 1 chain (24 stitches)
        Chain 1, 2 treble in first, 1 treble in next, 2 treble in next, repeat to the end, slip to first treble( missing the 1 chain)(36 stitches) - so you go 2,1,2
        Chain 1, 2 treble in first, 1 treble in next 2 stitches, 2 treble in next, 1 treble in next stitch, repeat to end, miss 1 chain and slip in first treble. - so you go 2,1,1,2,

the next row would go 2,1,1,1,2

Keep repeating this by adding on 1 stitch between the 2 treble stitches until the size you want then just work even on all the following rows until it is long enough.
        I hope that this makes sense.
        Thank for your help. I have been doing this stitch, but still not coming out right. Maybe I just need more practice.

Comment

If it is still too big, use a smaller hook. everyone crochets differently with different tensions, its all trial and error.
          Sharon
          "nothing is impossible, the word itself says "I'm possible"!"
          http://www.facebook.com/pages/Croche...25255760850096
          http://www.folksy.com/shops/CrochetCow
          www.crochetcow.co.uk (coming soon)

Comment

Working...
          X