Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circular needle?

Hi everyone

I have found the most gorgeous pattern for a baby's shawl that I want to knit to my soon to be born neice.

The problem is that it says to knit it on a circular needle. I really can't get on with them

Can I do this on long straight ones? It's a rectangluar blanket so I think it can be done, I wanted to check with the experts on here

Thanks
    MyTwinTeddy
    www.mytwinteddy.co.uk
    We dress the same so we look like twins!

I would think so, although i guess it depends how many stitches there are and if you can get long enough straights.
    I have never knitted a blanket on circular needles, but then the ones i've made before have never had more than a couple of hundred stitches. My only concern would be that the work would come off easily if there's not enough length to the needle and once you're getting past 150-200 stitches, dependant on yarn type, that's a lot of length.
    I think i would make a start and give it a couple of rows to see how big it's going to be.
    The only other thing is it might be more comfortable to work with on the circular needle?
    http://rainsdropsnroses.blogspot.com/

Comment

If you're doing straight (flat) knitting on circular needles, it isn't that difficult to get the hang of it - you just have to do relaxation breathing and experiment a little before starting the actual project. Well, that's what I have to do sometimes!

Cast on about 20 stitches and then start knitting across - remember, this is just experimenting. When you get to the end of your CO stitches, turn, and go back. You are not connecting the two ends. You're simply straight knitting. Do a few rows to get the hang of it. Then when you see what's going on, you'll feel more confident, I'm sure, and so just take the experiment off the needles and begin your project with more confidence.

If your pattern calls for A LOT of stitches, you might want to put a loop of other color yarn (or a real stitch marker) on at each end so you remember to turn and not accidentally keep going, thus connecting them and making it circular. When you get going and it gets quite bunchy, and you're thinking about something else, it is sometimes easy to accidentally keep going rather than turning at the end of the row!

I find that with heavy projects, there is less stress on my hands with circular needles. The weight of it is not sticking out on a straight needle and needing support. It's all sitting in your lap, so to speak! I encourage you to experiment with circular needles, even for flat knitting - I think/hope you might find it pretty comfortable. Once you experiment a little, to understand it better, you'll not be so intimidated by it.

I don't suppose this a circular project with a steek? Knitting in the round and later cutting the steek open ... probably not but thought I'd ask, just to be sure.

Comment

Oooo Susan, you've convinced me to try again with those circular thingmy's. It hasn't got a steek(?) just a straight forward rectangle, I guess it's because it's 4 ply and needs lots of stitches. Thanks ladies, I'll try to remember to post a pic when I've made it
        Last edited by MyTwinTeddy; 22-07-2011, 10:15 AM.
        MyTwinTeddy
        www.mytwinteddy.co.uk
        We dress the same so we look like twins!

Comment

Yes, please do post some pics - would love to see it!

Sometime you might want to try knitting a very simple scarf/muffler in the round. VERY warm, but has a definitely spiral appearance.

Comment

Working...
          X