Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yarn for beginner crochet...

Hi.

I've started crochet via YouTube. I've found it good but I've been struggling with granny squares as my hook was a size 4.00mm which I've now purchased a 6mm. I know what I need to do but the work is so small I'm struggling to see chains etc.
    I've been using DK yarn double ply. Is this my problem? Would chunky yarn be easier?
    So what yarn should I buy? A link to a website would be great and brill if hobby craft sells it.
    Any other tips to make my work easier to do.

Dk is fine, tho aran weight might be a bit better for you. Crocheting on a 4 or maybe 5 would be ok for dk, tho you can crochet comfprtably smaller (i often crochet dk on 3.5)
    If you're having a problem seeing the chains then crochet them on a size up - so a 5 and then do the foundation row on a size down -so a 4. The problem might simply be your tension. If so, crochet your chains loosely, not at the same tension you do the rest of it. That's why doing the chains on a size bigger sometimes helps.

The weight of the yarn should not really matter as long as you have the right size hook, but i have to say i learned on dk and aran weight, just because that was the patterns i followed.

Hope that helps?
    http://rainsdropsnroses.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I am now looking at basic Crochet videos to relearn the stitches. I think I'm struggling with the tension as I had the same problem when I tried to learn knitting many years ago...I going to keep trying and hopefully not give up, although it's frustrting when I know what to do it's just my tension messing me up.

Comment

If you are just trying out granny squares to learn by, you might want to go with a little larger hook and some heavier weight yarn, and REALLY GOOD LIGHTING! Maybe even some magnifier craft glasses so you don't have to squint - you probably don't need it but thought I would suggest it anyway. I do need them! Oh, and use light colored yarn to learn with, IMO. Easier to see what's going on.

Then when you can see better just what is going on, what it is supposed to look like and if you're putting the hook in the right spot, and being consistent in doing so, you'll probably start taking off! You might want to just do some straight crocheting for a little while and look at it closely and come to an understanding of it.

Any pattern you get will always tell you what size hook and what weight yarn to get. So again, if you're just trying out the squares to learn by, then perhaps try some worsted weight wool/wool blend. And don't use a tiny hook with heavier yarn...ask at your local yarn shop what you should use. You can probably even ask them to show you just what you might or might not be doing wrong. They want everyone to get the hang of knitting and crocheting and enjoy it, so they'll buy lots of yarn!

I prefer wool/wool blends because they aren't so slippery and stay put...especially if I drop the needles or hook, which I do sometimes because of a little arthritis in my finger joints. I think that for leaning, the wool/wool bends are excellent, but that's just me. Others will feel differently about it.

Comment

You might find it easier to look at illustrations than videos. or at least I did.
          Tension problems can be easily fixed. My friend says that crochet is for hippies so be a hippy and hang loose! Don't over-concentrate on what you are doing.and don't try too hard. I find that I give about 75% attention to what I am doing and the rest to whatever is going on around me - the telly, my daughter, or even just my thoughts. I find that it helps me relax and that tends to make my tension more consistent. If I think too hard about what I'm doing it gets all tight. Post its are fab btw for just reading a row at a time of the pattern. As long as you have read through it and have a vague idea of what's coming next, I find that using a post it under the row I am doing makes me less inclined to be distracted by what's next to do.
          But if you remember it is supposed to be a fun and relaxing hobby then I'm sure that your tension will correct itself or fall into a consistent pattern at all. it's just a case of practice practice practice, just like knitting. Well, like anything really. Give yourself a break, you won't get it all in one go, and crochet is easily frogged, much easier than knitting, so mistakes can be rectified much quicker and easier!

Don't give up!
          http://rainsdropsnroses.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
          X