crochet hooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crochet hooks

Ok, I know this will sound like a really stupid question. I have got a knitting pattern I'd like to do and the collar requires a little bit of crochet. Pattern asks for a 6.5mm (US size K) crochet hook and I went to the local wool shop and they told me there is no such thing as a 6.5mm crochet hook and I have to choose between 6mm and 7mm. I picked 6mm thinking I can always do an extra stitch or so for the collar if need be. Does this sound ok?
    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

OK - firstly the wool shop was telling porkies, they do exist, it is just that they probably don't stock them.

And secondly, yes what you are proposing to do will work splendidly.
    Blog: http://rosmademe.blogspot.com

Comment

Well at least my solution should work, even if the wool shop fibbed. I don't think they liked me downloading a free pattern off the internet much, so maybe they probably took a dislike to me.
      View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

If you Google 6.5mm crochet hook you will find loads online and often a lot cheaper than in the shops as well. A lot are wooden one, usually bamboo.

Pete
        "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
        Facebook

Website

Comment

Originally posted by bodrighy View Post
          If you Google 6.5mm crochet hook you will find loads online and often a lot cheaper than in the shops as well. A lot are wooden one, usually bamboo.

Pete
          And I know someone who will make you a very beautiful wooden one too LOL

Mo.XX
          Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
          Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
          www.bodrighy.co.uk
          https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Originally posted by MornieG Jewellery View Post
            And I know someone who will make you a very beautiful wooden one too LOL

Mo.XX
            I'm not allowed to advertise though the mods would tell me off. and anyway won't be making anything new until after I get home.....next week LOL

Pete
            "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
            Facebook

Website

Comment

Indri honey, I may be not thinking clearly, but if you add an extra stitch here and there, it may make it tricky in following the pattern...it certainly would with knitting...not so sure about crochet. But it seems to me that if you added an extra stitch, it's going to make a "V" place, or even make the collar flare our a little where you might not want it to and it might not look good.
              Last edited by removed10; 01-06-2011, 04:05 PM.

Comment

I'm not allowed to advertise though the mods would tell me off. and anyway won't be making anything new until after I get home.....next week LOL

Pete
                I didn't say who it was !!!

Mo.XX
                Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
                www.bodrighy.co.uk
                https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Originally posted by MornieG Jewellery View Post
                  I didn't say who it was !!!

Mo.XX

Oooops

pete
                  Facebook

Website

Comment

I'm not a crochet expert but half a mm shouldn't make too much of a difference, but have they done a tension square for the crochet? It might be worth doing one just to see.
                    Incidently i have half sizes up to 10mm. Your wool shop are definitely telling porkies. So you got a free pattern off the net, don't we all?!
                    http://rainsdropsnroses.blogspot.com/

Comment

Pete
                      I didn't have time to do so at work before heading out at lunch time. I'm all alone at work with no one to help me so am snowed under with work!!!

Originally posted by cosmic grammie View Post
                      Indri honey, I may be not thinking clearly, but if you add an extra stitch here and there, it may make it tricky in following the pattern...it certainly would with knitting...not so sure about crochet. But it seems to me that if you added an extra stitch, it's going to make a "V" place, or even make the collar flare our a little where you might not want it to and it might not look good.
                      I'll be doing a knitting pattern the crochet hook is just for the collar part so will need to do chain stitch I think it is (I don't have the pattern in front of me) and then attach it to the knitting part, so I just need one "row" of a long length of crochet and then attach. Sorry if I haven't used the correct terms but I have only ever crocheted once back in 1991....
                      View my flickr

Comment

Oh, well that shouldn't be a problem then! Go for it!! I was afraid it might be a rounded collar or pointy or something that would depend on a specified number of stitches.

Comment

No I looked at the pattern this morning and it says chain to length of 38 inches. It's a beginners pattern so fingers crossed I'll actually manage to finish it!
                          View my flickr

Comment

In which case the size won't matter at all.
                            Meant to say earlier as well that if you're not a 'seasomed' crocheter (is that a word??) your tensions might be completely different. When I knit my tension is more or less spot on, so much so that idon't bother with tension squares unless I'm using completely different yarn, but ,y tension in crochet is a lot looser, in fact i'm still a complete novice so it's all over the place!
                            http://rainsdropsnroses.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm not even a seasoned knitter, let alone crocheter! I started knitting last week and I have "knitters block" when it comes to casting on. I just fall to pieces and have no idea what I am doing with the wool. Once the stitches are cast on I can knit and purl ok, though I am not so keen on purling. I think once I've done a couple of knitting projects I might just disappear back into the world of paper strips!
                              View my flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X