Might attempt knitting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might attempt knitting...

A friend at work has offered to teach me to knit. I last knitted when I was in Brownies and was unbelievably bad at it so never picked up a knitting needle since. What sort of thing would be a good easy to make item for a complete beginner. I do have a (almost) 2 year old so there is the possibility of small clothing items, but I want something fairly quick as my first item so I don't get disheartened or fed up when I start dropping stitches left right and centre..... I have no idea what to attempt to make!
    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

You could knit squares to sew together for a throw for Rhiannon. I wouldn't try a garment first off, if you found it too difficult it might put you off the idea altogether. A scarf is quite simple too.
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

How about a little poncho for her? There are a few free patterns at Knitting Pattern Central. Fat needles, fat yarn, easy, fast pattern....YES!!

Does she already have a blankie she is attached to? You could just go for a simple blankie pattern...every kid needs a favorite blankie.

Comment

I've just bought a knitting loom. Just a 12 inch one but it great for scarves and patchwork squares. I've done a few squares using string and they look brilliant.

Comment

Take a look at this site lion brand yarn my daughter who's just started knitting again recommends it.
          Carol

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions I have yet to visit the wool shop to get my first needles and ball of wool. I do fancy having a go at a poncho at some point, but might try something smaller to begin with.
            View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

I saw the word poncho... no, on so many levels... What would you like to do and we will give you the tools!
              Blog: http://rosmademe.blogspot.com

Comment

Knitting is really simple once you get started and over the fear of it.
                I think baby items, scarves and blankets are the easiest to start with. I used to make scarves for everyone i could when i first started learning.
                Take a look at ******** they have lots of free patterns over there. Just bear in mind that some of the patterns are in american and you might need to translate them(tho for knitting terms that generally only refers to the type of yarn and size od needles)
                You could start with little blankets or hats and mittens for you local NICU they would appreciate it and they are quick to knit up!
                Good luck and welcome to stashes of wool all over the house, and never going past a wool source without wondering what it would become....
                Last edited by indri; 23-07-2013, 11:47 AM.
                http://rainsdropsnroses.blogspot.com/

Comment

So today we trotted off to hobbycraft at lunchtime and got needles and wool. We are both knitting a toy T-Rex. Mine will be multicoloured because I thought the multicoloured wool looked fun I was told by one colleague that we should start being in competition with another woman who makes knitted E. Coli and other microbes.....
                  View my flickr

Comment

Can't wait to see the results!
                    Try and find your local wool supplier as well. In my experience Hobbycraft is very expensive for wool and you are more liely to find a wider selection or get good advice on alternatives from an independant shop.
                    Purplelinda http://www.purplelindacrafts.co.uk/ often has kits and sales on wool as well and I've used her a few times. She does a lot with crochet kits etc too, which is something else you could try.....
                    http://rainsdropsnroses.blogspot.com/

Comment

We did think about going to our local woolly shop but they don't have such a good selection of colours especially in the nice soft baby wools as we found when she wanted to knit my daughter a cardigan and we ended up getting them online. We did feel like we were being dirty and betraying them by going to hobbycraft, but it did give me a chance to look at all the paper and card too..... I like paper and card I was good though and didn't buy paper or card. I have enough at home to last me a long time!
                      Last edited by indri; 25-05-2011, 09:04 AM.
                      View my flickr

Comment

There is a lovely wool shop just off the Precinct Indri, I often trawl all the way to Cov just for wool there and they are so helpful too. I can't give you an address but I do know how to get there. lol. Its in one of the little archades, I think I could describe how to walk there if you wanted to know.
                        Carol

Comment

You must mean busy fingers down the city arcade.... I went there only the other week buying embroidery threads. I was knitting in the pub this lunchtime over half a pint. Is that a little crazy? We had to sit near the door to the beer garden so we had a bit more light.
                          View my flickr

Comment

Yes I couldn't remember the name. It's stacked to the gunnels with wool.
                            Carol

Comment

Well, my knitting will be taking a break until Tuesday I need to go and bake a birthday cake in a moment, so I'm skiving work and my knitting is at work.

So far I am about half way down the body of this dinosaur (only my dinosaur is going to be blue and pink)
                              View my flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X