Ads

Collapse

What length circular needles? and pattern help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chelle88
    Junior crafter
    • Feb 2011

What length circular needles? and pattern help!!!

Hi
    I want to knit a cancer ribbon bag heres the pattern ***********8
    I have two questions. What size circular needles should I buy for a pattern which requires 41 stitches ending up at a max of 112 stitches? I have a pair of 80cm but this is waayyy too long and as this is my first time with circulars I dont want to complicate it by using the magic loop method.

Also the pattern says: CO 41, stitch 31 individual rows
    pick up 15 stitches and turn
    pick up 41 stitches and turn
    pick up 15 stitches and place marker
    112 stitches total

By this does it mean cost on 41 stitches and knit all for 31 rows, pick up stitches and turn without knitting them? Or do I pick the stitches up, knit them, the turn??

Im really confused :S

Thanks
    Last edited by indri; 23-07-2013, 11:52 AM. Reason: linking before 25 posts
    WWW.folksy.com/shops/chelle88
  • removed10
    Banned
    Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!
    • Jan 2009

Sounds to me as if you will need 2 or 3 circ lengths to complete this project, as it will be too too awful trying to knit on needles that are either too long or too short,.

I can't wait to read the replies regarding casting on and turning as this has ALWAYS baffled me. When I get to the end of a row, and I cast on the required number of stitches, how do I get to the end of those stitches so I can turn??? It muddles me no end.

Comment

• Silverthistle
      Super crafter
      • Aug 2010

I have read this three times already and am more confused that I was before,
      you might as well be speaking in Maderin !
      * cant help with your original post though - Sorry * :-)

Francesca
      * BLOG * WEB * FACEBOOK * TWITTER *
      Watch faces, Crystal Innovations sliders and much more

* Rome wasn't built in a day - although that was the builders original estimate *

Comment

• removed10
        Banned
        Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!
        • Jan 2009

Oh blast - it means down the sides, right??? This part -

pick up 15 stitches and turn
        pick up 41 stitches and turn
        pick up 15 stitches and place marker
        112 stitches total

First pick up (15) is down the side... guess one - then you turn and on your way back to the beginning, you pick up 41 in there somewhere, regular intervals....OR...guess two - you turn, knit back to the start, and pick up the 41 along the rest of the knitting...etc..because now you are making it circular, right?? The first 31 rows were straight knitting on the circ needles...

Am I making any sense at all??

Comment

• removed10
          Banned
          • Jan 2009

Back to your question about what length circ needles...ignore my initial reply, as I was quite confused...well, I'm just not sure what length - do you have several that are of diff lengths so you can just try them out? I am guessing 22 to 24 inches long? But I may be way off...just trying to picture 112 stitches on there, but again, you may need shorter circ needles to start with.

Comment

• craftdancer
            Super mega big crafter
            • Jan 2006

I wish I could help, but the written instructions are just too vague for me to interpret - even having seen the picture it's not immediately obvious how the bag is constructed and where stitches should be picked up.

Linda

Comment

• removed10
              Banned
              • Jan 2009

Well shoot, I didn't even notice the link in the OP...was wondering what Linda meant about a picture...so as a moderator I must tell you Chelle that you can't post links before you've made 25 posts, to "prove" you are here to be a honest-to-gosh member of our little community.

The rules are here -

Anyway, I was just thinking that maybe you should simply find a new/better pattern for this bag you want to make. I didn't even see a photo at that site, but then I didn't sign up.

Comment

• tarinab
                100+ crafts club
                • Jul 2009

Have just downloaded the pattern Chelle will give it a go and let you know, think you must have to knit straight like you were using just 2 needles for the first 31 rows then pick stitches up. Will keep you posted how I get on.
                Tarina
                http://tarinaknits.blogspot.com

Comment

• tarinab
                  100+ crafts club
                  • Jul 2009

Right ok I've got it now, when you cast on 41sts work in stocking stitch as if you were knitting on 2 needles for 31 rows. This is the base of the bag. Pick up 15sts down the side (the row ends) but don't turn instead pick up 41sts along the cast on edge, then 15st up the other side. You will now have 112sts, place your marker and now begin to knit in rounds. Oh and I'm using a 40cm circular.
                  Tarina
                  http://tarinaknits.blogspot.com

Comment

• removed10
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2009

Brilliant - that makes much more sense...not turning. Really brilliant.

Comment

Working...
                    X