Tapestry- anyone do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tapestry- anyone do it?

I have always done crochet but have recently started doing a whole multitude of other crafts and have found tapestry and weaving are my thing!
    I have started just messing about with tapestry wools and some large holed aida.

Anybody know what is the best tapestry canvas to use?
    Also for what do I need a frame and how large would be recommended?

I have bought lots of lovely tapestry wools really, really cheap and am now itching to get on with something a bit more 'substantial' but want to make sure I buy the right things before I waste money on the wrong things!

I am also looking at making a frame and doing some tapestry weaving, as I enjoy weaving on apeg loom but want to advance a bit more into pictures

I have found I love working with wool more than anything else. I am starting an appliqued wall hanging soon and really looking forward to it but not as much as starting atapestry (just trying to use some left over material- hence an applique hanging!)
    I guess I just love wool!

Thanks in advance
    Blog
    http://minervascrafts.blogspot.com/

Try Lucy Winter for suitable canvas. Tapestry canvas needs to be stronger than Aida, as for the frame size depends on what you want to do, I have about 4 various sizes, so I would suggest start about 12" X 12", as it can be an expensive hobby. If you have bought the wool cheaper, not sure of the make but would advise shorter lengths to stitch with as can shred going through the holes repeatedly.

Comment

Thankyou for the advice.

It's all Anchor tapestry wool that a shop was selling cheap to clear stock, alos got some very cheap off Ebay. So this should be good enough I'm assuming?
      Blog

Comment

Anchor is fine, you sometimes get un-named tapestry wool and silks and they can cause no end of problems.

Comment

I have done quite a few tapestries in the past, I used cross stitch patterns for some of them, there are loads of free ones on the web. You can also make up your own patterns with some coloured pencils and graph paper.

Melanie

Comment

Originally posted by silvermaid View Post
            I have done quite a few tapestries in the past, I used cross stitch patterns for some of them, there are loads of free ones on the web. You can also make up your own patterns with some coloured pencils and graph paper.

Melanie

So far all the things I have done have been freehand and have sort of gone with the flow- this is how I do most of my projects, 'cos I just don't get on with patterns. For anything really big I will probably just draw it on.

I am going to have a go at a few different stitches when I get the time and try and broaden my knowledge. Most of the time I just go with the flow and sort of self teach.

Thanks for all the advice x
            Blog

Comment

Working...
            X