My treasure hunt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My treasure hunt!

Following a recent post by Swirlyart, about her good fortune on freecycle in obtaining a sack load of fabric, I finally managed to join my local group. I didn't feel that I could just join and then place wanted adds straight away I waited. I scanned the lists of stuff every day but no fabrics came up.
    Eventually i could wait no longer and placed an add. That evening I had a client round to the house and she told me they were clearing out her aunts home. Her aunt had been a seemstress and milliner. I was invited round and yesterday I went. It was like aladins cave. There were huge pieces of fabric everywhere andI literally filled the car. I now have whole rolls of velvet, vintage prints, lining in every colour of the rainbow, cotton, silk, satin, metalics etc.

I am currently on the eighth washin load of fabric and the washing line is heaving under the weight.
    I've also got about thirty vintage hats and ten vintage dresses.

needles to say, I withdrew the wanted add from freecycle!
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Flippin eck that was a piece of luck!!!

Now how many aunties do we know that would pop their clogs and leave 60kilos of wax lying around!!! hehe.

That is excellent - remember and post the pics to see what you make with your aladdins cave of treasures.

Cheers

Lisa

Bowed Over
    Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
    www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Oooooh - you lucky,lucky thing!! What are you going to make out of it?? You must show pictures...... Vintage dresses too - soooooo jealous!!
      Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
      My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
      My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Originally posted by candles by lisa View Post
        Flippin eck that was a piece of luck!!!

Now how many aunties do we know that would pop their clogs and leave 60kilos of wax lying around!!! hehe.

That is excellent - remember and post the pics to see what you make with your aladdins cave of treasures.

Cheers

Lisa

That's why Otex ear drops are a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by peter View Post
          That's why Otex ear drops are a bad thing.

Ow yuck - but wonder what that would burn like?

Bowed Over
          Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
          www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

reusable fabric

I am a new member and already I have learnt a valuable lesson - thanks. I have spent a fortune on fabric as I am a quilter. It NEVER occured to me to advertise on Free Cycle - I must be blooming thick. It now seems so obvious.
            Please keep dropping these little pearls, I am watching and learning.
            Carol
            God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Oh wow I am soooo jealous... enjoy making lots of lovely things with your newly enhanced stash.
              Ali
              xx

My Crafty Blog
              Craft Matters at Etsy

Comment

what a lot of material you lucky thing cantwait to see what you make with it all i just ask my mum shes been collecting stuff for years never throws anything away old dress making and knitting patterns material wool you name it i dont do a lot of sewing or knitting but my daughter used a lot of wool in her rug making if my mum ever has to move to a smaller place i dread to think what we would find
                Jan xx

http://craftyjan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by craftyjan View Post
                  i dread to think what we would find

But wouldn't it be fun!!!
                  full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

You lucky, lucky, lucky thing! Good luck finding the storage space for it all. LOL!

I've just turned a funny shade of green!
                    Natalie
                    website blog

Comment

Wow!! I'm seriously jealous; you lucky thing.

If you ever get to the stage where you end up with a load of stuff that's not suitable for your use, let me know, I'll pop over and have my own treasure hunt! LOL!

Linda

Comment

Oh wow, lucky you! A friend had a similar stroke of good fortune and she very kindly sent me some of the surplus, she had so much!

Another good place to look is your local soft furnishings store. There is one in my town where they make curtains etc and they often have lengths of fabric left over. They are not huge pieces but big enough for patchwork or bag linings, and I get a lot from there in exchange for a donation to charity. It's worth asking!
                        "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris

See my work at www.miaoucrafts.com/jill

Comment

oh wow! very lucky you. Can't wait to see pictures of your amazing treasures. and see what you make out of them!
                          Visit my blog Meridian Ariel or my Etsy Shop

Comment

Working...
                          X