Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Sewing machine for comlete novice

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best Sewing machine for comlete novice

    Hi,

    I actually make jewellery for a living but fancy having a go at making things by sewing.

    Now my hand stiching is worse than terrible so I thought about getting myself a cheap starter sewing machine. I just wondered if anybody could recommend one to me.

    I am a complete beginner with a machine, so nothing too fancy or expensive.

    I want to try & make some simple purses/bags & maybe bunting, etc

    Can anybody point me in the right direction or does anybody have a machine they may like to sell

    REMEBER.... I AM A COMLETE NOVICE

    Thanks

    Debbie
    xx
    http://www.debbiegrahamjewellery.com

  • #2
    Originally posted by Debbie Graham View Post
    Hi,

    I actually make jewellery for a living but fancy having a go at making things by sewing.

    Now my hand stiching is worse than terrible so I thought about getting myself a cheap starter sewing machine. I just wondered if anybody could recommend one to me.

    I am a complete beginner with a machine, so nothing too fancy or expensive.

    I want to try & make some simple purses/bags & maybe bunting, etc

    Can anybody point me in the right direction or does anybody have a machine they may like to sell

    REMEBER.... I AM A COMLETE NOVICE

    Thanks

    Debbie
    xx
    Hi,

    I do work for Janome, so I am bias... but my advice for any brand...
    • would be don't go for something really cheap....under £100 aren't really very strong.
    • Remember machines go up to 5k just for domestic machine (they do do alot thou) so machines under £100 aren't the quality you would get for say, £200.
    • Think about what fabrics you will want to sew... if you want to do denims, curtains etc...you need to have a strong machine...
    • I speak to lots of customers that say they got a cheap machine from somewhere, and then it breaks and costs more to fix it than the machine cost to start with... so spend as much as you can afford to start with... a good machine should last for years! So if you spent £300 and it lasted for ten years.. thats only £30 a year!
    Happy to help if you need anymore advice,

    heidi
    Heidi

    Comment


    • #3
      Hey Thanks Heidi for the reply.

      Can you recommend a model tht would be best for me to start with.

      Thanks again

      xx
      http://www.debbiegrahamjewellery.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Debbie Graham View Post
        Hey Thanks Heidi for the reply.

        Can you recommend a model tht would be best for me to start with.

        Thanks again

        xx
        There a Christmas special model Janome 2200... about £100
        but, even better 8077 or XL30 (both about the same)@ about £250... this would be the easiest and lowest price. one step button hole, and some decorative stitches as well... my mum has just bought this one and loves it! You could check out www.janome.co.uk for your local shop?
        Heidi

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Extra Special Touch Gifts View Post
          There a Christmas special model Janome 2200... about £100
          but, even better 8077 or XL30 (both about the same)@ about £250... this would be the easiest and lowest price. one step button hole, and some decorative stitches as well... my mum has just bought this one and loves it! You could check out www.janome.co.uk for your local shop?
          If you want to spend more...6260 is on offer at the moment for £399... a really nice machine...

          or 4900 for £699... beautiful...
          Heidi

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi Debbie I got the cheapest Brother machine out of Argos and have to say it is fantastic! I make all kinds of things on it and as long as I look after it and feed it a little machine oil every now and again I haven't had any probems with it whatsoever. I have a friend who forked out £250 for a super duper do everything download machine and she can't work out how to use it properly! I agree with Heidi that you do get what you pay for but for starting off I would say just go for a bog standard simple model until you are more confident. I have had mine for a couple of years now and know it inside out so am now itching to get a fancier model, need to sell some more bags though!

            Comment


            • #7
              Aww thanks everyone for your input. At least I know what to ask my hubby for xmas now...lol

              Thanks again for your help

              Debbie
              xx
              http://www.debbiegrahamjewellery.com

              Comment

              Working...
              X