Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you recommend a sewing machine?

Hi

I am thinking about getting a new sewing machine. I've had mine for about 15 years and before that it was my Mum's so don't know how old it is. So I am now thinking of upgrading but on a limited budget.

Any recommendations please?
    Helen

www.littlesnuggler.co.uk
    Total warmth and comfort for your baby and toddler up to 3 years

Hi,
    I've got a Janome and it does everything I need it to do at the moment. It was a present a couple of years ago so I have no idea how much it cost though. If you can find a sewing machine shop in your area then they should be willing to let you try out some machines before you buy.
    Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
    My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
    My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Thanks Swirly
      I'll have to pop into our nearest shop when I am childless!
      Helen

www.littlesnuggler.co.uk

Comment

I notice that Lidl will have sewing machines in for £39.99 from next Monday, according to their leaflet.

It's a Lervia make (never heard of it but I gather Lidl stuff is usually good quality for the amount paid), free arm with lightweight metal body and push table; integrated upper thread tension; 29 settings, including 4 decorative stitches, 14 twin needle stitches and buttonholes; sewing pedal with variable pressure setting and finger protection.

It might be worth checking out if you have a Lidl near you.

Comment

Ooh, that's great. We don't have a Lidl in Scarborough but I'll see if there's one not too far away. Thanks again.
          Helen

www.littlesnuggler.co.uk

Comment

Stop!!

BEFORE you go buying cheap sewing machines - think about getting them repaired!

Most sewing machine repair places won't have spare parts for machines bought in places like LIDL. Sewing machine parts are not generic. Also, some of these machines are not designed to be fixed, they are so (sew) cheap that they are designed to be replaced not repaired.

My MinL has a fabric shop. She rents out space in the shop to a chap who sells & repairs machines, and this is one of his biggest problems.

People buy cheap machines from Argos, Dunelm, Lidl, Aldis, etc and there is no way of repairing most of them unless the parts are imported at huge costs and no one wants to pay those prices. Quite often people will be offended because they can't get their machines fixed, and they blame him - he's a sewing machine engineer, so he should be able to fix it. Not necessarily so.....you can't fix if you can't get parts etc.

I have two sewing machines, a Huskystar (made by Janome) and a Brother Galaxie. I'd recommend either of those two makes. I sew constantly and if you're going to invest in a machine, then be prepared to buy a good one, even if it's just a basic machine. Buy a well known brand that you know you can get serviced and repaired, should it ever need it.

Jules
            Apple Tree Crafts
            www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

Sound advice Jules, thanks. Actually I've got my eye on a Janome one. Will let you know how I get on.
              Helen

www.littlesnuggler.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by littlesnuggler View Post
                Sound advice Jules, thanks. Actually I've got my eye on a Janome one. Will let you know how I get on.
                I know this thread was a while ago and you probably have a machine by now!
                But for anyone else who may be looking for a machine, this site is great...http://www.sewingmachinediscount.co.uk/home/home.asp
                ...lots of Janome machines, very reasonable and quick delivery. I used to get them for school from here and also got my 2 janome's here.
                x
                incywincystitches.com - Fabric buttons, button supplies and handmade accessories
                ___

Comment

Thanks very much for the info. As it happens I have chosen a machine from this very site and just waiting to get my grant sorted out before I order one. It's good to know someone who has used them before. Thanks again
                  Helen

www.littlesnuggler.co.uk

Comment

I'm sooooooooooo excited - I've got my new machine. It's a Janome Simplicity - special offer - was £299 but I got it for £139. It only arrived today so I haven't had chance to play with it yet.
                    Helen

www.littlesnuggler.co.uk

Comment

I am recommending "Singer 3323S Talent 23-Stich Sewing Machine".
                      This is a flexible and cost friendly machine that i purchased at $167 from Amazon.
                      Last edited by hana12j; 04-07-2012, 08:32 AM.
                      Hana

Comment

Working...
                      X