Essential knitting supplies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essential knitting supplies

Oo. Ok, nobody faint. A real craft thread from me.

I've mentioned my OH's knitting before. Bit more background - she is Spanish, and normally they give presents on Jan 6th rather than XMas day - it's called Reyes (to do with the arrival of the wise men or literally 'magic kings' as it translates from Spanish).

So. I want to get her some knit-tastic bits and pieces to help her along with her new hobby - at the moment she has a book, subscription to simply knitting, one set of needles and a small stash of yarn (all the same).

Can anybody give me some good ideas as to something fun and useful I could get her as a new (but quite enthusiastic) knitter? I'm thinking a few different yarns (as long as we are able to get them again) - but can someone recommend a good place to get them (online - since we are stranded on a small rock!).

--Matt

Web Development
    Beads, Charms & Findings - Jersey Craft Shop

Try Art Yarn they have different from the norm wools. Don't use Angel Yarns as I have had nothing but trouble with them as I know others on here have, still waiting for a refund from July, say no more!

Consider the Lily is another or Purplelinda and finally Laughing Hens, they also have a forum etc and may be a useful link.

Comment

Sorry, can't help with your query, couldn't resist the fainting smilie though
      "Human beings, who are almost remarkable in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" - Douglas Adams

Blog: http://janscardscraftsandmusings.blogspot.com/
      Twitter: http://twitter.com/JanJackman
      Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...6759167?ref=nf

Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator

Comment

Another chance for me to plug my step-daughter's website. She sells some gorgeous yarns that she personally hand-dyes. Link is in my sig.
        Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

I may as well tap into this as well then

You know where my shop is matt, you been spending enough time there :P lolz

Free shipping, discount, what more could you ask for? lol

"A larger selection" yeyeye i know lol.

Lots of wools i have are not uploaded yet, but have got about 123 different yarns online in stock More to follow lol. and those out of stock are pending delivery so should be back soon (new year christmas and all, the supplier has been back logged lol)

Comment

I would def get some more needles, I got a load from hong kong on ebay, they prob wont get there on time but there nothing more frustrating than finding a fab pattern and not having the needles! Mine are circular but you can knit straight on them and they are really useful. You need slightly different sizes quite a lot for cuffs, collars etc, you can be pretty sure you will need the double point ones at some point.

Stitch markers are lovely little objects, loads of beaded ones on etsy / folksy / people sites on here. You can just use bits of wool but the beaded ones are nicer!

I guess it also depends on what kind of knitter she is, I love anything bizarre so books like toilet roll covers, tea cozies and wild tea cosies (still lusting after the last one) make me very happy! Charmed Knits is quite good for Harry Potter fans.

I get most of my stuff off ebay but used K1yarns in Glasgow for online stuff a while ago and they were very good
            flickr
            blog
            my website
            etsy

Comment

I agree with the others a set of needles would be top of my list.
              Knitting depends on the number of stitches and rows to the inch to ensure that the size is right on the finished item. Everyone knits differently, and often different makes of wool vary slightly so in order to get the right tension she may have to use bigger or smaller needles. If she only has one set then it will be hard to find the right pattern.
              Scarves are one of the easiest things to start with - no problems with tension etc. So some nice fancy yarn that will make a pattern with the colours or texture with just plain knitting would be nice.

Melanie

Comment

I would agree with needles and also stitch holders.

Can I also say that I have just gone over to using bamboo knitting needles, these can be a bit expensive but are very good to work with, warm to the feel and also the wool seems to move over the needles far more easily.

I have been knitting now for around 30 years (since I was very, VERY young) and think bamboo needles are great. I bought mine from someone in the uk on ebay. I just typed in bamboo knitting needles and found them. They have an ebay shop and have the needles on there all the time. I think I paid about £10 for about 8 or 10 pairs.

Hope that helps.

Hope this link works, its the person on ebay I bought from.
                bamboohttp://stores.ebay.co.uk/BAMBOO-Crafts-and-Fripperies
                Last edited by Moonbeam Angel; 31-12-2008, 04:34 PM.
                Diane
                Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

As a very late emergency may I suggest a visit to Dunhelms for the purchase of some of their eyelash yarn which is packed with a pattern for a scarf with instructions for the right needles to makie a rather nice soft one - especially good for a relative beginner. They are open on Friday.
                  Carol
                  God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Try me too!
                    I'm online (only just! New business an' all!)
                    I have lots of choice of beautiful yarns and knitting equipment so try me!! I will even give you 10% off for coming through CF.
                    Last edited by MissDee; 05-01-2009, 10:32 PM. Reason: spelling mistake....duh
                    My shop for my dreams!
                    http://www.fibredreams.co.uk
                    My rambellings and how to makes.
                    http://fibredreamscouk.blogspot.com
                    My wee shop
                    http://fibredreams.etsy.com
                    And another wee shop!
                    http://fibredreams.folksy.com

Comment

Hehe, thank-you one and all for your suggestions

I've got this thread bookmarked so that I can go through them in the near future - but must report - that I found the perfect present while wandering through the town market yesterday!

I was actually on the way to buy some fish (there are two indoor markets here, one accross the road from the other, and I nipped through the 'normal' market as a shortcut on the way to the fish market).

It's a lovely sort of stand-up knitting back with cartoon cats on it, plus a few other bits such as a rowcounter, and even a french knitter for comedy value!
                      --Matt

Web Development
                      Beads, Charms & Findings - Jersey Craft Shop

Comment

Originally posted by ThE_SeeKeR View Post
                        I may as well tap into this as well then

You know where my shop is matt, you been spending enough time there :P lolz

Free shipping, discount, what more could you ask for? lol

"A larger selection" yeyeye i know lol.

Lots of wools i have are not uploaded yet, but have got about 123 different yarns online in stock More to follow lol. and those out of stock are pending delivery so should be back soon (new year christmas and all, the supplier has been back logged lol)
                        AGREE LAUGHING HENS VERY GOOD, HELPFUL, AND UNUSUAL STUFF.

LINDA

Comment

Thinking ahead here - you'll have birthdays, saint's days, anniversaries, Easter, Valentine's Day etc to buy her presents for. When you get fed up with boring old wool have a look at the Hand Weaver's Studio. For anyone living near London it's a house disguised as a shop (or vice versa) and it's an Alladin's cave. So how's about yarn made from linen, nettles or to die for - silk!
                          They're a bit behind the times (they've only just started to accept credit cards without charging you extra) - so no luscuois website, you have to send off for their catalogue.
                          Or.....if you are tempted by llama wool (it's sooooooooo soft) shout now as my middle son has fallen in love with a Chilean girl and we are off to Chile for the wedding in a fortnight.

Hasta la proxima Senor Matt
                          Forget the Annnie that's the Anna talking.

Comment

purplelinda?

Hello, since this thread has mentioned purplelinda, I'd like to know if anyone has bought from her and what are you experiences.

I was looking forward to place an order for quite a big bunch of yarns for my mom, but then I found out that a few don't have the thickness I'd like to have, so I emailed her...once, nothing after a couple of weeks...so I emailed her again, and nothing for a month now.

Has anyone tried to contact her and succeeded in doing so? All feedback appreciated, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                            X