4 needle knitting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 needle knitting

i am very new to knitting,(still on my first scarf) but tonight i have being playing with kintting on 4 needles, i want to do some leg wamers. but i tried doing a little thing just 12 stitches, i thought ir was going really well untill id done a few rows, then i found there is what looks like a dropped stitch at two or three point round, i have the saem number of stitches so is this just because it is looser on the joints? am i knitting it too tight so making it more obvious? or am i doing something wrong lol, thanks xx

try a free graze box use code 5THR7LB www.graze.com

I've just started knitting again recently and haven't used 4 needles since I made some socks back in my Girl Guide days. Maybe your tension isn't even but I'm a born again novice so can't help much I'm afraid.
    www.littlebead.blogspot.com
    www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

That can happen with multi-needle knitting - I usually knit a couple of stitches from the "new" needle before changing to the empty kneedle.
      ElaineJ soap and other stuff
      website
      blog

Comment

It's confusing isn't it?!

I started knitting a pair of socks for my mum, guess they'll have to be for me now

They're knit two, purl two for 19 rows - I've only done three rows lol
        MISI - http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=741

Comment

ooo thanks for the replies and would love to see how you get on with the socks, elaine, how do you mean please? xxx

Comment

You have stitches on 3 needles and an empty needle

using empty needle you start knitting from one of the full needles until it's empty

instead of using the now empty needle immediately to start knitting from the next full needle continue with the one you've just filled and knit a couple of stitches from the next full needle (keep yarn tight)

then start the process again with the empty needle and this next full needle

(the gaps which look like a ladder from a dropped stitch are where you've reached the end of a needle and started with the next one - in the same places on each round, one above the other)
            ElaineJ soap and other stuff
            website
            blog

Comment

Originally posted by ElaineJ View Post
              You have stitches on 3 needles and an empty needle

using empty needle you start knitting from one of the full needles until it's empty

instead of using the now empty needle immediately to start knitting from the next full needle continue with the one you've just filled and knit a couple of stitches from the next full needle (keep yarn tight)

then start the process again with the empty needle and this next full needle

(the gaps which look like a ladder from a dropped stitch are where you've reached the end of a needle and started with the next one - in the same places on each round, one above the other)
              thanks hun, i really struggle to understand written instructions,but i actually understand that thank you !!!

Comment

Watch out! Sock knitting can be addictive! I'm getting wool for my 4th pair AND threatening to knit some for both kids and OH!!

Debbie
                Last edited by purplemac; 26-11-2008, 11:13 AM. Reason: ooops! spelling mistake!
                Debbie
                http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...?id=1262375772

http://www.folksy.com/shops/purplemac

http://purplemac.misi.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by purplemac View Post
                  Watch out! Sock knitting can be addictive! I'm getting wool for my 4th pair AND threatening to knit some for both kids and OH!!

Debbie
                  lol, im doing leg warmers i think socks are too complicated for me at themin lol xx

Comment

hi been reading post on the knitting .i knited a few years ago aran etc but only had patience for baby stuff.i always remember doing leg warmers and a bib and brace dress for my daughter.i was so made up with the out come as it wasnt from a patern it was a pat in my head.lol i remember people living near by asking for orders but not paying up front so i wont do. one day i do washing and hung daughters set on the line to find a hour later it had been pinched i was guted but the leg warmers are so easly to do no shapinging in the ones i did .

Comment

4 needles always sounds so daunting!! Have you tried the circular needles? Its like the ends of two needles joined together by a flexible middle. Sounds odd but they are often used for knitting in the round. I have some but again never tried it!! One of these days i'll actually get round to knitting some socks as they sound like the perfect small project!
                      Brunette
                      www.smudgecreations.co.uk
                      www.facebook.com/smudgecreations

Comment

I love 4 needles - I find it seems to grow really quickly.

The loose ones at the start/ end of a needle will probably me to do with the tension when moving onto the next one. It does tend to even itself out in the end.

I love legwarmers, I made a funky pair with ladders out of ribbon yarn which I think are pretty cool and liked the so much did a plain pair for wearing to work over winter (everyone thinks I'm nuts). Then the girl that works for my mum wanted a pair so I did her some cabled ones, she's 21 so it must be cool!!

Post a picture when they are done.
                        http://sharkfeather.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X