Fetching, from Knitty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fetching, from Knitty

Admittedly I'm coming a little late to this party as I'm sure everyone in the world has already made 'Fetching' but it's Sunday and it's quiet, so indulge my boredom please.

Pattern: Fetching from the Summer 2006 edition of Knitty
    Needles: 4mm bamboo DPNs
    Yarn: This was my very first skein of my very first attempt at dyeing with kool aid. I posted about dyeing on my craft blog with a rough guide on what I did. The yarn I used is the left skein in the bottom picture below.
    ****** project page: Click here
    Techniques learned: I discovered whilst checking how to do the cable cast on that I've been casting on incorrectly for, well as long as I've been able to knit! That was fairly disconcerting but at least now I know how to do it properly.
    I also feel that I've mastered how to pick up and knit stitches without leaving a gaping hole.

These were really quick to knit up - I cast on last thing on Thursday night and finished them last night, and I am by no stretch of the imagination a speedy knitter. I had to frog the thumb on the left because I somehow managed to pick up 21 stitches instead of 17 and I completed eight rounds on the thumb instead of the suggested four because the thumb barely covered my knuckle with four repeats. I did use the suggested picot cast off, but I'm not hugely happy with the effect. I think it looks pretty untidy - is it just me? Have any of you who've made Fetching before felt the same?

Click any of the pictures to get the bigger size.

The skein I used is the one hanging on the left hand side.

This is the best close-up I could get of the cables. To be honest, they don't show up quite as sharply in the finished object because the colours are so dense but I like the texture.

Here is one finished wristwarmer
    Last edited by indri; 23-07-2013, 01:05 PM.
    www.blottedcopybook.co.uk

you dyed this yarn yourself? beautiful colors - just fantastic!
    blog
    website
    etsy shop
    folksy shop
    twitter

Comment

I did, yeah. Thank you!

Comment

Now wasn't that worth trying to think of 25 things to say?

Comment

Vonnie, I think that was a pat on the back from Peter - cherrish it.
          I have always wanted to try dyeing but don't want to muck up my washing machine and don't have another container big enough.
          Years ago, cough, cough. I used to boil up the dye in a bucket - I don't suppose you have to boil it these days do you.
          Carol
          God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            Now wasn't that worth trying to think of 25 things to say?
            Why thank you squire!

Originally posted by Critchley View Post
            Vonnie, I think that was a pat on the back from Peter - cherrish it.
            I have always wanted to try dyeing but don't want to muck up my washing machine and don't have another container big enough.
            Years ago, cough, cough. I used to boil up the dye in a bucket - I don't suppose you have to boil it these days do you.
            I shall!

I actually used kool aid for this lot and I fixed the dye in a two tier vegetable steamer. It wasn't ideal because I'd put so many colours on that they were touching in the steamer basket but because it's food there was no worries about keeping utensils separate. I bought some omega acid dyes to play with a few months ago but I haven't got round to playing with them yet.

Comment

Working...
            X