X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SallyT
    replied
    Hi Linda,

Your advice has been a great help so thank you so much. It actually makes sense now! I can now give the pattern a go and hopefully it will work out now I can decipher the instructions.

Thank you so much 😊
    Sally

Leave a comment:

• craftdancer2
    replied
    Hi Sally
    This is not a silly question at all - reading knitting patterns is like learning a new language and unless you get some guidance it's very difficult to work out the intricacies of it all.

In this case the explanation is simple and I hope you understand what I mean:-
    the instructions in round brackets (....) are always accompanied by a number of times to repeat, the numbers divided by colons : and in the square brackets [.....] relate to the size of garment you are making. Most patterns will relate to multiple sizes and so the instructions for pattern repeats, increasings and decreasing can look a bit complicated with .

So, for the first row: knit the first stitch, then do alternating purl and knit stitches the number of times indicated by the size in the square brackets - for the smallest size no purl and knit, for the next size purl and knit just once, for the next size purl and knit twice, etc.

In patterns with instructions for multiple sizes it's often helpful to go through the written instructions before starting work and mark up the repeats/instructions which are specifically relevant to the size you are making (underline/circle/highlight etc). This makes it easier and quicker to see the instructions you need to follow when you get to that part.
    It's also helpful to read all the instructions for a row before you start on that row, and this often makes sense of things like instructions in brackets.

Hope you can understand this and it enables you to get on with your knitting. Take things slowly and read the pattern as many times as you need to - it saves time and frustration in the end

Linda

Leave a comment:

• SallyT
    started a topic Understanding Knitting Pattern

Understanding Knitting Pattern

Hi all,
    this really does show how much of a beginner I am but could somebody please explain this pattern? I don’t understand why things are in brackets for example:
    1st Row:
    K1, (p1, k1) 0 etc etc
    sorry for the really silly question but I just don’t understand it!
    Have attached a picture which shows the whole row pattern.
    Many thanks 😁
    Attached Files
Working...
X