Lace knitting disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lace knitting disaster

Does anyone have any experience of knitting lace? I’m working on a Shetland lace shawl (in the round) and noticed that the centre panel has a hole in it!!

I’ve never repaired/darned knitting before and had a vague idea of pinning it out on a cushion and using a crochet hook to try and ‘re-knit’ the hole and secure it off somehow, but is there a better way?

Any advice gratefully received!

It's many years since I did any Shetland knitting and haven't done a shawl in the round, but your idea of pinning out and repairing with a crochet hook is what I would probably do if it was too far gone to consider unpicking and re-doing.
    However, might I suggest that, assuming the problem is a dropped stitch, you find where the stitch is and secure it with a length of contrast colour thread/yarn before any "manhandling" of the shawl takes place, as this should prevent it getting any worse while it is measured and pinned.

Would love to see a picture of the shawl - are you knitting it in traditional 1-ply or 2-ply yarn, or have you gone for the more modern fashion of thicker yarn? I always wanted to knit a wedding ring shawl but couldn't track down suitable yarn and now my hands don't work too well so doubt I'd be able to do it.

Linda

Comment

That’s an excellent idea! Thank you. I’m envisioning myself having to get in there with tweezers etc to catch ends etc.

I’m working in a 1-ply haapsalu yarn (that was it’s actual name, as well as the name of a technique) It’s a wool - smells very sheepy - and quite unprocessed. When I was planning it I couldn’t afford the ‘proper’ Shetland produced yarns but found this stuff on eBay, the techniques were very similar and so far it’s worked out nicely.

The project itself is very far gone, You work the centre back and forth first, then pick up stitches around all the edges and start doing the border in the round - the centre itself took a few weeks, I’ve been working on and off on the border for two years! 😅

The only other thing I could think to do was pick up the first (inside) row of the border, snip the centre out and finish it, knit another and sew it in. But I don’t know if I have enough yarn or the nerve/skill to do that. I’d have to finish it off and reassess, but obviously can’t work with only a sandwich bag clip stopping the whole thing from unravelling - the whole thing is just sitting on the side till I have a calm space to work in (moving house atm).

Comment

Not sure if I can post links as a newbie but the ravelry page is here https://www.ravelry.com/projects/Ser...en-susan-shawl

haven’t posted recently at all though, didn’t do much at all this last year or two - should update.

thank you again!

Comment

Working...
        X