Crochet Hook Size Help Please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crochet Hook Size Help Please!!

I`m a novice crocheter. Its years since I made anything but I`ve recently been inspired to have a go again. I learnt at Primary School, a lovely lady called Mrs Ford Brown taught me. That was before the National Curriculum came in and ruined everything!!

I`ll step off my soap box now........

I`d like to make a few narrow summery scarves to go with a few outfits I have. The dresses are V neck and I`m a bit aware of a surgery scar I have just below my shoulder so I thought scarf or a shrug would be a good idea. I`ve bought some DK cotton and DK cotton pearle but I don`t know what size hook to use. Can anyone tell me what size hook I should be using for DK Cotton??? The lable gives the knitting needle size but not hook size (hmmmph!)

Thanks!

Clare

Hi Clare,
    If the wool states the millimeter size of the suggested knitting needle, you can use the corresponding hook ie. 4mm - size 4 hook!
    Why not try experimenting with a few sizes to see what effect you get?
    Good luck with the scarves,
    Melanie
    Try a new way every day and work becomes play!

Comment

I would suggest a 4 or 4.5 for a thin(ish) scarf.
      x
      incywincystitches.com - Fabric buttons, button supplies and handmade accessories
      ___

Comment

Size 4 all the way!!!!! What sort of pattern are you doing for your scarf?
        www.thoughts.com/still_learning/blog

Comment

perhaps size 4 hooks should set up their own fan site!
          Try a new way every day and work becomes play!

Comment

I don't know how I've managed it but I own three size 4 hooks so I'd sign up for the fan club!

A tip is to get the metal ones not plastic! Plastic bends, warms up and can make the wool 'stick' on the hook - too much friction...in my experience!...

Comment

Thankyou for the help!

Ohhhh, I haven`t got a clue what pattern I will use. I was just going to have a play with mesh stitch ( I think that`s what it is!) and see how I get on.

Thanks again-really appreciate it

Comment

I've just made a shawl type thing to go with my summer dresses. I did the mesh stitch and it came out really well. It's very easy to do and grows very quickly.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Comment

I certainly will let you know.......but I`m very slow!

Comment

Could Deramores Needle, Hook & Yarn chart be of any use? https://www.deramores.com/pages/what...-what-ply-yarn

Comment

Working...
                    X