Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tunisian/Afghan Crochet

Hi

Does anyone have any experience of Tunisian/Afghan crochet? I've just been lent a hook and have been having a play but would love to try and make a blanket. Which stitch would people recommend? Is there a certain type of yarn I should use?

At the moment my foundation chain is really 'baggy' could this be because I'm using a thin yarn on a thick hook? When I settle into doing the stitches it comes out quite well....

Thanks
    www.thoughts.com/still_learning/blog

It's many years since I did any Tunisian crochet (probably about 25!), and I never did that much so I can't really help with the stitches. I used to make jackets/cardigans and used Aran wool with quite a large hook.

I would think that perhaps your yarn is a bit on the thin side for your hook (or the hook is too large for the yarn). Try it with something a bit thicker and see how you get on. If you're still struggling try doing the foundation yarn with a standard crochet hook, then get the Tunisian hook in use for the first row.

Would love to see a picture of your finished item(s) when they're done.

Linda

Comment

This book may help...

Hi there,
      I've been teaching myself crochet from 'The Happy Hooker' by Debbie Stroller. She definitely has a section in that on Afghan crochet - I've not tried it myself yet but I've found her instructions really easy to follow so far. (Although she is American so you do have to watch out for some of the terminology being different.)
      Try a new way every day and work becomes play!

Comment

I've already go the Happy Hooker book and I took a trip to the library. I've used a thicker yarn and have nearly finished making a bag. I've found the doing the basic Afghan stitch eats up yarn like anything and produces a very stiff knit. I don't think it's something I'll try out again....However have just received a some new crochet patterns so am trying to find the yard to do a top now...and a jumper...and maybe a hat...hmmmm
        www.thoughts.com/still_learning/blog

Comment

Working...
        X