Selling Other Peoples' Jewellery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling Other Peoples' Jewellery

I've been thinking about selling jewellery (not made by me!) on my website. I'd put it under a heading of 'Designer Jewellery' then have sub categories with the designers' names (or, whatever heading they prefer). I'd be happy to either handle the pieces myself, so I can post them out when they're ordered, or, I could contact the maker, with the buyers details, so they can post it out themselves.
    If I handled the jewellery myself, I'd also be happy to photograph it, or, accept photos from the designers, again, depending on their preference. Any items I posted myself, would, of course, include the designer's details and any info. they wanted sending.
    I was thinking mainly of jewellery makers who don't have their own websites, as it would be one way of getting their name known and a showcase for their stuff, but I certainly wouldn't exclude anyone who also sold jewellery on their own site.
    I'd do it on a commission only basis but that's the bit where I've come unstuck i.e. what would be a reasonable percentage? I suppose I'd have to have a sliding scale, dependant on whether, or, not I handled and/or photographed the goods myself.
    I sell a lot of jewellery making stuff through eBay and I always include information re my website. If I did start selling jewellery, naturally I'd include details about it on all my advertising blurb.

I'd really appreciate you comments
    Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Have you seen a website called http://www.hannahzakari.co.uk/ She does what I think you're describing, and its a really nice site with an FAQ page somewhere about her commissions and processes, that might be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by linz View Post
      Have you seen a website called http://www.hannahzakari.co.uk/ She does what I think you're describing, and its a really nice site with an FAQ page somewhere about her commissions and processes, that might be helpful.
      That's exactly the type of thing I had in mind, although the commission she's charging is far more than I had in mind! I like the way she's diversified, I'd really like to do that myself in future. I think the more exposure that crafters get, the better. I had thought about running my own craft fairs (an idea that's still on the back burner) but I get loads of migraines, so, I couldn't guarantee that I'd be able to turn up myself!! So, I saw this as an online alternative & I thought I'd start with jewellery makers as they seem to find it hardest to get stalls at fairs.
      Jayne

Comment

I think its a great idea. I love the website Hannah Zakari.

I'd be very interested in being a part of it.
        Sarah x

Muddle Website
        Muddle's Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Muddle Jewellery View Post
          I think its a great idea. I love the website Hannah Zakari.

I'd be very interested in being a part of it.
          Thanks Sarah, I want to get a proper plan in place but it's definitely something I'm wanting to do very soon. I'll pm you, if that's OK, as soon as I know exactly what I'm going to put in place. I'd be delighted if you were a part of it!

If anyone has any suggestions, thoughts, or opinions about any aspect (especially what would be a fair rate) I'd love to hear from you.
          Jayne

Comment

Hi poppy4lee,

I would be interested in selling through your site if you are looking for any more jewellery makers. I should have my own site up and running shortly but have hit what I think is called a technical glitch (in other words, I don't know how to do the next bit!!!)

I'm not too sure what a fair rate would be, I have looked at the Hannah Zakari site before and have always been tempted to contact her, but the 35% commission is a little off putting,especially as my jewellery isn't all that expensive to begin with

I would have though about 15% to 25% depending on the total value of the item would be about fair. 15% of £50 is a lot more than 25% of £10 so you could have a sort of 'sliding scale' I suppose.

Just rambling now really, thats my thoughts anyhow

Claire
            Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
            Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
            www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

See, I don't think 35% is too bad. She takes lovely photographs, is a pretty well established site, she advertises, pays for web hosting, spends time on the site, stores all those items somewhere, posts the stuff out... Seems like a lot of work to me for less than 35% considering some items are fairly inexpensive.

Comment

You've just made me realise something Linz - 35% isn't all that bad really is it?

It looked high to me at first, but you're right - she does put an awful lot of work into the site and it is very professional compared to some other sites I've seen.

Hey who knows, maybe I'll pluck up the courage to apply I'm not very confident about my own work sometimes but I need to bite the bullet and let others decide for themselves I think.

Claire
                Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
                Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
                www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

Thats fine Jayne, let me know when you can.

I also agree 35% seems fair.

I emailed Hannah Zakari a few months ago, but didn't get a response, like she says on her site, she gets a lot of people asking to be on it and can't respond to them all.
                  Sarah x

Muddle Website
                  Muddle's Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by ladyluckjewellery View Post
                    Hi poppy4lee,

I would be interested in selling through your site if you are looking for any more jewellery makers.
                    Claire
                    Thank you for showing an interest Claire, and, yes, I'd love to sell your work! I've had a few people contact me now, which is brilliant and I really want to thank everyone who has expressed an interest it really has spurred me on! I'm hoping to put some definite plans together next week & then I'll be in touch to let you know what's happening.
                    Sorry I've not got back sooner but it's my birthday today & I've been out & about having a lovely time. My OH bought me 3 Chinese hamsters (a total surprise), a mother & 2 daughters (they're about 5, or 6weeks old) he's called them Anise, Jasmine & Ginger & they are absolutely gorgeous!!!
                    Jayne

Comment

Happy Birthday

Hope you had a loooveeely birthday. I love hamsters and those names are just gorgeous is your OH always this thoughtful? if so I love him tooo!!!!!

Have pm'd you.

Claire x

ps. why are all jewellery makers called Claire?

Comment

selling

We are setting up a website for crafters and makers - aiming at selling in both local and global marketplaces - there is currently no setup costs and only 10% comm when you sell an item . We are not new to trading on the web.

Let me know if you are interested .

Kind regards

Brad

Comment

happy birthday your hamsters sound cute cant have small animals got 3 cats and a dog
                          Jan xx

http://craftyjan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by crafty-clarie View Post
                            is your OH always this thoughtful? if so I love him tooo!!!!!

Have pm'd you.

Claire x

ps. why are all jewellery makers called Claire?
                            Thanks Claire for your pm & birthday wishes & I think I'm really lucky with my OH, he always puts tons of thought into pressies & stuff (he puts me to shame!) and I've no idea why all jewellery makers seem to be called Claire, maybe the name has a special innovative and artistic energies
                            Jayne

Comment

Originally posted by craftyjan View Post
                              happy birthday your hamsters sound cute cant have small animals got 3 cats and a dog
                              Thanks Jan, we've got 10 hamster altogether (7 Roborovskis & 3 Chinese) plus a cat (Poppy). Poppy's 18 now, so she doesn't pay much attention to the hammies but we make sure she's out of the room, whenever we get them out of their cages!
                              Jayne

Comment

Working...
                              X