Starter Kits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Kits

I am interesting in making jewelry for myself as a new hobby - its something I've always fancied doing, but recent hunts round the web for heart shaped beads for a customer making cards has made me want to start!

Only problem - never done it before and so I'm looking for a 'starter kit' with some beads, wires, findings and most importantly instructions for about £20 max. Only kits I've found so far are about £60 which is a bit much to start. I want to make sophisticated adult jewelry so I dont want to end up with lots of bright coloured plastic beads.

Can anyone recommend any? If any of you guys sell anything that resembles a good starter kit, feel free to bombard me with your website details and I will have a look as I would like to buy off one of you (in a loyality type of way!)

Cheers!
    Liz

EA Cards and Crafts
    Huge choice of papercraft, jewellery and wedding products! Full papercrafts catalogue available.
    www.eacardsandcrafts.co.uk

i dont know where to get any starter kits but i would suggest getting some books from your local library, it is free after all. thats how i learned to make jewellery. there are loads of good websites with instructions too. this one is good http://jewelrymaking.about.com/c/ec/1.htm
    also loads of sites sell kits of beads in different sizes . try here http://www.jillybeads.co.uk/
    hth
    Lois

Comment

Hi, Maybe I can help, if you let me know what you want in your kits I can try and make one up for you at a good price. I dont have too much on the findings side of things but I have some pretty wicked beads!
      If you cant find what you want on my website, please have a look in my ebay shop, screen name destiny-uk.
      Cheers & good luck
      Alison x
      DestinyUK..Found at the End of Every rainbow
      Check it out!

DestinyUK..My Ebay Shop
      Beads 'n' Stuff!

If you like SPOOKY stuff, you will love this!!

Comment

Hi

Thanks for your help guys.

Being too impatient and excited I spent several hours lookng around and reading up on it all so I now know what several of the main bits are called and what they are used for (clasps, crimps, jump rings etc etc). I even found some instructions with diagrams online which helped.

So.....since then I've actually already bought a load of findings and pliers and beads and have already made a lovely pair of earrings and matching neklace which I am modelling as we speak!!!!

I've stuck a picture of them on the web so any comments would be appreciated (dont forget this is 1st attempt):
        http://www.eacardsandcrafts.co.uk/Je...reenPearls.htm

I think the earrings are nicer than necklace - I think I may want to mes with this more.....

I can see myself getting really into it :lol:
        Liz

EA Cards and Crafts
        Huge choice of papercraft, jewellery and wedding products! Full papercrafts catalogue available.

Comment

sorry link is supposed to be:
          http://www.eacardsandcrafts.co.uk/Je...reenPearls.htm
          Liz

EA Cards and Crafts

Comment

Hi Alison!

Just wanted to say, your website looks good, well done!

Bea x
            Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

Cheers Bea, maybe I should post a pick of the blisters on my fingers LOL.
              Hey, thanks for the support my friend, if it wasn't for people like you I dont think I would have survived the last few days!
              Your a star and I wish you all the very best
              Alison x
              DestinyUK..Found at the End of Every rainbow
              Check it out!

DestinyUK..My Ebay Shop
              Beads 'n' Stuff!

If you like SPOOKY stuff, you will love this!!

Comment

Originally posted by destinyUK
                Cheers Bea, maybe I should post a pick of the blisters on my fingers LOL.
                Tell me about it! That's why it's taking me ages to put items on my website!! Might be ready for Spring!! hehe

Glad everything returned to normal!
                Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

Your jewelery looks great, you clearly have a talent.

I can never make the loops at the end of a metal threading finding(no idea what its called)look neat.
                  How do you do it?Should I get some tiny nosed pliers?
                  https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

yes definatley should get some long nosed pliers i got mine for 99p in a local diy shop
                    Lois

Comment

Originally posted by Seahorse
                      Your jewelery looks great, you clearly have a talent.

I can never make the loops at the end of a metal threading finding(no idea what its called)look neat.
                      How do you do it?Should I get some tiny nosed pliers?
                      Hi

I have a pdf file explaining how to do them, if you PM me your email address, I'll send it to you. 8) It's actually to do a wire wrap loop but you can stop at the loop and cut the wire off. Using a bead of size 8mm is supposed to give the perfect loop (put the beads on the wire then cut the wire, then take bead off and make the loop), unless the chain you attach your loop to is thick then go for 10 or 12mm.

metal threading thingy :roll: = headpins or eyepins
                      round nose pliers is what you need

Bea

Comment

Hi, Maybe I can help, if you let me know what you want in your kits I can try and make one up for you at a good price. I dont have too much on the findings side of things but I have some pretty wicked beads!
                        If you cant find what you want on my website.
                        Cheers & good luck

Comment

Working...
                        X