Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help making a tiara

Hi

I've been asked to make a tiara, any ideas as to where I start? it's not my usual thing but would like to have a go.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kim x
    www.kimmsmith.etsy.com

www.facebook.com/kimsmithcharmbracelets

I made one for my niece last year, and found allaboutjewellery and lainesworld useful.

The best way I found to attach the sprigs was to put one wire over each side of the band and then wrap one wire clockwise to the left and the other anti-clockwise to the right. I put two layers on mine with the front layer lower than the back and angled forwards about 45%. I made branches with three sprigs on each - like a coral branch - so it was fuller. If you are putting accent beads in they are best put on an individual wire and not at the top of branch.

hope this helps
    Melanie

Comment

Originally posted by flutterbybutterfly View Post
      Hi

I've been asked to make a tiara, any ideas as to where I start? it's not my usual thing but would like to have a go.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kim x
      Kim, Go to spell bound beads in Lichfield (or website linked) - that's where I got all the bits to make mine. They also do kits which include all the bits you need and instructions.
      x
      incywincystitches.com - Fabric buttons, button supplies and handmade accessories
      ___

Comment

Originally posted by silvermaid View Post
        I made one for my niece last year, and found allaboutjewellery and lainesworld useful.

The best way I found to attach the sprigs was to put one wire over each side of the band and then wrap one wire clockwise to the left and the other anti-clockwise to the right. I put two layers on mine with the front layer lower than the back and angled forwards about 45%. I made branches with three sprigs on each - like a coral branch - so it was fuller. If you are putting accent beads in they are best put on an individual wire and not at the top of branch.

hope this helps
        Melanie
        Thankyou Melanie that's very helpful.
        www.kimmsmith.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by incywincy View Post
          Kim, Go to spell bound beads in Lichfield (or website linked) - that's where I got all the bits to make mine. They also do kits which include all the bits you need and instructions.
          x
          Thanks Sam, I was trying my hardest to avoid Spellbound as I always spend loads ha ha but I have seen the kits they do. I think i'll take a trip on Friday.

Thankyou for your help

Kim xx
          www.kimmsmith.etsy.com

Comment

I was waiting until I had experienced making a tiara until I answered this thread!

I can now truthfully say that it is not a difficult as I thought it would be, I did think it was going to be ridiculously difficult and was a little bit scared, but it's not that bad, I managed to make one!

I used this wavy wire stuff, not sure what it is called but a friend of mine who is a florist gave me it, it is from Country Baskets if that helps? Much better than straight wire as you don't have to be so neat!

I got the tiara blanks from jillybeads I think and swarovski crystals from there as well.

I will post a photi as soon as I take one
            www.beadlab.com

Comment

I have now made enough posts to link to the sites I mentioned.
              http://www.allaboutjewellerymaking.i...ses-and-beads/
              http://www.lainesworld.co.uk/project.../projtiara.htm
              Though on the last one it is much easier to use a bought tiara band.
              Even this simple one should give you a few ideas.
              http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/tiara
              Have a look at sites that sell tiaras, although you can't copy them it will give you some idea of the style you want and what you like.
              Here is a picture of the one I made.

I covered the wires with some thin silver ribbon before she wore it.

Melanie

Comment

If I can help you at all with "tiara making tips" then please let me know.

Is there anything specific that you need help with?
                Do you have a particular design in mind?

K x
                I LOVE this horse. He makes me laugh every time I see him. He is mine.

www.uniquebeads.co.uk - Swarovski components, including filigrees
                www.starstruck-designs.co.uk - Beautifully handcrafted tiaras, jewellery and other crystal accessories.

Comment

Thankyou all for your helpful tips and websites, I have managed to make one and i've kind of got the bug, I ended up making 4 and did find it easier than I imagined, although I do envy some of the beautiful ones that you have made though Melaniem, well done you! I'll get there.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...Picture988.jpg

Feel free to have a peek and let me know what you think.

Kim xx
                  www.kimmsmith.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                  X