Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone want any photography advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone want any photography advice?

Does anyone want any photography advice?

I..
    www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/?saved=1

How much free time do you have?

Hi,
    My biggest difficulty is photographing rose quartz, do you have any suggestions?
    Chris W.
    x
    Gemstone Jewellery and Gifts

Comment

OMG YES YES YES YES!!!!

How can I photograph clear crystal beads on a white background? The facets reflect light, obliterating some of the shape, and often they can barely be seen against the white background!!

K x
      I LOVE this horse. He makes me laugh every time I see him. He is mine.

www.uniquebeads.co.uk - Swarovski components, including filigrees
      www.starstruck-designs.co.uk - Beautifully handcrafted tiaras, jewellery and other crystal accessories.

Comment

Hi Chris,
        Rose Quartz is a problem for most people and as it is a delicate translucent material then you have to be delicate within your approach to photographing it. The one thing that is fundamental is exposure, this has to be spot on otherwise you will loose all the colour detail in the image. Rose Quartz will also pick up colours from anything that is close by, so you can’t really put any light adsorbent material anywhere near it. All my images are shot using flash heads, it really is the only way to get the correct colour range. Using daylight is difficult as it varies so much with time of day or even if it is cloudy as the colour temperature of the light can vary from about 4,000k(Kelvin) to 10,000k with flash this is constant at about 6,000k. Using a single flash head will only give you harsh shadow unless the head is directly overhead, which is something you can’t do with a camera mounted flash system.
        If you want to experiment with daylight then the approach I would use would be to set up a reflecting box, it’s just a box made out of the whitest paper you can get hold of with the paper being on 4 sides. This will concentrate the light as it bounces round all the white surfaces. Take an exposure reading in the box but off your hand as this is close to the 18% reflective index that cameras are programmed to. Then transfer this setting to the manual elements of the camera controls, don’t use the auto settings as they will under expose the image. Take the image and adjust the exposure as necessary using the manual control’s. If you have a photo manipulation package then a few adjustments with this and you should be able to get a very good colour match with the Quartz. Is this helpful to you?

I..

Comment

Hi Ian

I need help with staging my photos ? I dont want them to look over staged but just nice and interesting and most of all eye catching !!

I have just bought a fujifilm finepix s5800 and im sure i could get so much more from it !!

Any help would be brilliant

Cheers so much
          Sara x
          allabouteden blog

fromthehandsofkittyeden

my folksy shop

Comment

Hi Ian,

This isn't jewellery but I wondered if you have any advice for photographing mosaic mirrors?

Also, my friend is trying to photography swarovski crystals and pears - again any advice? Very much appreciate!!!
            Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Hi Ian,

Thanks for this - it's really good of you.

Could you have a look at my Etsy shop and see what you think of my photos. I take them at a window on white/ivory fabric with the surface angled slightly towards to light. I try to clip the fabric up so that the light bounces off to light the darker side but it doesn't always work - any tips for this?

Thanks in advance!

Yvonne
              x
              Yvonne
              x

My website: www.mymiyel.com
              My blog: www.mymiyel.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Starstruck,
                Crystal beads. Mmmm, they are not as horrendous as you would think but lets look at the problem in some detail. Light always travels in straight lines so it will go straight through the beads as well, nothing there to stop it from doing that. The only time it won’t do that is when the refractive properties change, the colour, texture or material gets in the way of the light (photons). So, simply what you have to do is change the way the light comes off the skin of the crystal!
                If you imagine that the crystal bead is a pea (as in Birds Eye) then the skin is the reflector and the inside of the pea is the conductor. Viewing it this way you can see that what needs to be done is change the properties of the skin and if you can do that then the bead becomes more visible. You might think that this is a complex and difficult thing to do, but fortunately it isn’t difficult at all to do. Pop down to your local arts supply shop and buy a sheet of black mounting board (it’s about £3 for a A0 sizes sheet). You will need to experiment a bit with this but what you have to do is cut some strips long enough to completely encircle the necklace, bracelet or earring you have made, the strips need to be quite wide 4-5inches (100-130mm).
                As you are shooting on white (I nearly always do this as well) the white base won’t see this ring of black card surrounding the item you want to photograph, remember light always travels in a straight line so the white base will only see light that is coming down from above and not from the side. The beads you are going to shoot stand proud of the white base so they will see light coming from the side, only this isn’t what is happening in this case as the light reflected from the bead is going to be adsorbed by the black card, the skin of the pea (bead) is being made darker.
                You should also read what I have written to Chris as this is very relevant to the way the image should be taken but with Rose Quartz you can’t use this ring technique as it will change the colour of the quartz. It’s not really hit and miss with this but you will have to experiment a bit to get a good image and with all photography the exposure is critical.
                If you have further questions please don’t hesitate to get back to me.

I..

Comment

Hi Katianne,
                  Interesting, I have had a look at your shop and I think that the mirrors are very nice but the basic problem is that you are not letting the mirrors do anything. If I were trying to show them to their best advantage I would hang them on a wall, have some image relevant to where the mirror would be hung showing as a reflection and photograph them in good light. I would also allow more space for the mirror in the image frame, don’t crop too tightly. Use a tripod and in this instance you could use the auto exposure system that the camera has (I’m old fashioned I like to go manual!). Providing the room is bright and the reflected image is different from the wall the mirror is, mounted on then you will have good images. Don’t try to have a too acute angle with the mirror, providing you aren’t in the image than all is well. Does this help?

Swarovski Crystal.

Rather depends on the crystal as some are plain and some are coated but with all crystals you have to have the correct exposure, If they are to be photographed against a white background then the tendency will be for the image to be under exposed. If you read another comment I have added to this thread then using black bounce (black card) would help with the clear crystals, the black card will influence coloured crystals. Shooting at different angles will help with the way the coated crystal shows the reflected light source. I think with the Swarovski crystal the light source should be directional (direct light, which could be window light) so that the camera can pick up the scattered light (light that has been reflected off the facets).

I..

Comment

Hi Yvonne,
                    I have had a look at a couple of images and I think that most of the problems revolve around the exposure. The Necklace I viewed is very nice but the way it’s laid out is a little crooked but it’s in focus, which is an essential element. To get round the exposure problems use the cameras auto exposure system to give you a reading of the light reflected off your hand. Transfer this information onto the cameras manual settings and take a few images. As you are using window light it is essential that you use a tripod. Once you have had a look at the result you can correct the exposure using either the speed settings or the aperture settings, preferably the camera speed settings should be adjusted as you really need to have the aperture as small as possible to get the depth of focus. Let me know how you get on.

I..

Comment

Hi Sara,
                      I don’t think that there much wrong with the way you shoot the items as you don’t have that many options. I would certainly get rid of the spotty background cloth, for this sort of work white is best as it will give the image much more punch. The exposure is quite a bit off, you are underexposing the image which makes the whites look grey. If you have been reading the other comments I have been making on this thread then you will know I prefer to use the manual settings on the camera, you then have a lot more control over what you are doing. Expose off one of your hands as it will give you a better average exposure for the image and then transfer this information into the manual settings. Then you can adjust anything you need to do.
                      Using good photo manipulation software will also give you the edge when you want to correct the image. Let me know how you get on.

I..

Comment

Many thanks

Thanks for your help Ian, I have tried the box idea and it does seem to help enhance the quality of the rose quartz, if you take a look at the rose quartz heart bracelet you might agree.
                        http://www.waterstonejewellery.co.uk...1-110-112-535/
                        Chris W.
                        x
                        Gemstone Jewellery and Gifts

Comment

Hi Chris,

You are getting there, but I think in this image you are just a tad overexposed. With rose quartz you do have to play with them a little as each piece is different but this is not too bad – bring back film, it’s much easier to work with!

I..

Comment

Working...
                          X