Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photographing jewellery - any tips?

Hi,
    I wondered if anyone has any tips on photographing jewellery close up?

I bought a fancy digital camera a couple of years ago specifically for this, and even a 'light tent' thingy from ebay (to help difuse the light over the item -apparently...) but I still just get blurry images, and its driving me nuts!!

Photos

I used to buy a lot on eBay and some of the pics were SO GOOD!! I emailed one man and asked him what he did. He said that the best tips were: 1. Get a tripod. 2. Photograph as much as you can outdoors.
    Hope this helps. Good luck! Sue.xx
    http://susieQinblogland.blogspot.com

Comment

For close-ups use the macro setting, it looks like a flower symbol on your camera, make sure this is on. And don't get too close up to your subject, remember your camera still needs to be able to focus. I also turn the flash off, and photograph in good daylight.
      My supplies shop The Crafty Little Bead Shop
      Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by sarahlou View Post
        For close-ups use the macro setting, it looks like a flower symbol on your camera, make sure this is on. And don't get too close up to your subject, remember your camera still needs to be able to focus. I also turn the flash off, and photograph in good daylight.

This is what I do too.... oh and a lot of patience!
        Hope Jewellery
        http://www.hopejewellery.co.uk
        My blog: http://www.saysie.blogspot.com
        My new Etsy Shop: http://www.saysie.etsy.com

Comment

The amount of times i have thrown my camera down in a huffy is unbelievable.

I still haven't got the jist of it, but yes, having the macro on and daylight is defiantly crucial.

Although in this weather where is the daylight!

Good Luck!
          Av xx
          Sprinkles Sparkles

Comment

it took me ages to work this one out. I have tried a light box, waste of time. Try some white paper 0n a table in front of a window. That worked best for me. Clear sharp photo's

Comment

Have a look at this...

http://www.tabletopstudio.com/docume...hotography.htm
              Helen

www.littlesnuggler.co.uk
              Total warmth and comfort for your baby and toddler up to 3 years

Comment

Photographing Jewellery

My boyfriend is a professional jewellery photographer and he has put together a set up for me which works very well and was inexpensive. I have two flashheads bought off Ebay with soft boxes attached set at 45 degrees to object. I use white background paper and clear perspex on which I place the jewellery. This is to avoid shadow.
                All my pictures are white background and it takes quite a bit of work in Photoshop to clean the background. I could go into more details if anyone is interested.
                Chris W.
                x
                Gemstone Jewellery and Gifts

Comment

I struggle a lot with my photos. It's mostly hit and miss. Plus I'm really lazy and can't be bothered to go through the whole ordeal of setting up and then tidying up!

I take photos of my jewellery on a white/ivory background (but it doesn't work so well with my white coloured jewellery) and next to a window. I peg the white cloth up so the light reflects off it onto the darker side of the jewellery.

I think as long as you can get it in focus it doesn't matter how big the jewellery looks on the picture if that makes sense - because you can always crop it on your computer later. So even if it looks like the jewellery is far away, just crop the sides off on whatever photo editing programme you have.

And the patience thing is so true. I take sooooo many then slowly go through them and delete ones that I don't like until I have about 8 that I am happy with.

Hope this helps, though I have babbled.
                  Yvonne
                  x

My website: www.mymiyel.com
                  My blog: www.mymiyel.blogspot.com

Comment

Ive started plonking down my jewellery on the windowsill and taking it there.

I have no idea if it looks any good, but at least the picture is bright and you can see the jewellery!
                    Av xx
                    Sprinkles Sparkles

Comment

Thanks loads!!
                      Littlesnuggler- that website is fantastic, wish I'd found it before...

I must admit, I have used white paper, clear perspex underneath, on windowsill for good lighting etc. Some of my pics came out ok. Guess I just need to practice more and work out the settings on my camera!

I'm assuming everyone uses a standard digital camera with macro setting?

Comment

Well, it rather depends on the quality you want to achieve. As a first step I think that it is important to understand what the piece requires to make it look good. Low contrast objects like high contrast light – flash. High contrast objects you can use any light source you like (there are limitations with this) but generally you want white light. Window light or out door light is very colour temperature variable so it will influence what you are taking the image off. You need enough light so that you can use the camera lens to some advantage, ie, varying the depth of field for example, this allows you to have bits in or out of focus as you so wish though with jewellery it should all be in focus if possible and it must be sharp (in focus).
                        This is quite a difficult subject to cover in a few words but in my opinion Chris W went in the right direction with the lighting as you can have control everything with flash – I am supposed to be writing a book on this subject which endeavours to cover some of the aspects of photographing jewellery or small objects without spending lots of cash on very expensive equipment which you may not use to it’s full capability. I will keep adding to this as time permits or interest prevails.

I..
                        www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/?saved=1

Comment

Photoshop

You seem to be very knowledgable Ian do you photograph jewellery professionaly?
                          Chris W.
                          x

Comment

Hi Chris,

Yes, I do shoot professionally but it’s probably a bit indiscreet to go to far down that road over the forum. However, I feel that I can be helpful to others who with possibly limited funds or knowledge would like to improve their images. Is this helpful to you?

I..
                            www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/?saved=1

Comment

Have a look.

Take a look at my site and tell me what you think.
                              Chris W.
                              x

Comment

Working...
                              X