Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sterling silver or Stainless Steel findings ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3dDave
    replied
    Originally posted by Brenda555 View Post
    If I were you, I would definitely go with sterling silver. I have many sterling silver items and they look great. My latest purchase - [MOD EDIT]. It's also made of sterling silver. If quality is your priority, sterling silver is the way to go.
    Only craft related links allowed.

Leave a comment:

• Brenda555
    replied
    If I were you, I would definitely go with sterling silver. I have many sterling silver items and they look great. My latest purchase - cross skull ring. It's also made of sterling silver. If quality is your priority, sterling silver is the way to go.
    Last edited by Brenda555; 20-11-2018, 07:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jacs66
    replied
    Thanks Mo, I'll take a look

Jackie

Leave a comment:

• MornieG Jewellery
    replied
    Hi Jackie.

I don't do wire wrapping so can't really advise you there. If I want non sterling wire I use a company called https://www.wires.co.uk/ so much cheaper than anywhere else and you can buy a little or a lot at a time. Good service too.

Mo.XX

Leave a comment:

• Jacs66
    replied
    Thank you so much for the advice Mo, it's very useful
    Thanks for the recommendations also, I have come across Palmers and it's good to know they are as good as they seemed. I've not come across the silver corporation but that looks pretty useful too.
    one more question .......
    I've doing quite a lot of wire wrapping and for this I've been using 'Artistic Wire' which I believe is the brand name, Tarnish resistant, silver plated copper round wire, various width.
    The silver corporation look to have a similar product but it is much cheaper ! I don't suppose you or anyone else has had experience of using it ?

cheers
    Jackie

Leave a comment:

• MornieG Jewellery
    replied
    Good morning Jackie.

It rather depends on the price point of your items. Sterling Silver is always seen as quality and most people can wear silver. Silver plate can irritate depending on the quality /thickness of the plating and can wear off quite quickly. Surgical steel are hypoallergenic as is noibium and obviously gold. There will always be someone who is allergic to these though.

"Hypoallergenic" means "below normal" or "slightly" allergenic. Jewelry that has been classified as hypoallergenic means it contains little to no potentially irritating alloys. Hypoallergenic jewelry is created using components made from metals such as gold, niobium, stainless steel and titanium.

very cheap thin or poor quality earwires are a waste of time IMHO and you need to be careful ordering randomly from places like China who may say they are sterling silver or more commonly just silver when in fact they are not. I'm not ayig that all imports are like that but better to order from a company recommended by another maker as being legit.

Niobium wires are found in lots of pretty colours which can be fun.

My preferred suppliers are:-

https://www.palmermetals.co.uk/shop/...-findings.html
    http://www.thesilvercorporation.co.uk/home.asp

for quality, service and price.

Mo.XX

Leave a comment:

• Jacs66
    started a topic Sterling silver or Stainless Steel findings ?

Sterling silver or Stainless Steel findings ?

Good morning 🙂
    I've practised with cheaper findings and am ready to move on to something more quality. I'm debating whether to use sterling silver or stainless steel
    Anybody got any experience and advice ?
    Thanks
    Jackie
Working...
X