Can drilled stones be threaded directly on to a chain? Total beginner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can drilled stones be threaded directly on to a chain? Total beginner

I am looking for some advice. I have never made any jewellery before but have recently purchased a ring & would like a pendent to match, or at least compliment it. (I know exactly what I'm looking for but haven't been able to find anything like it to buy, but have found the right stone but I'm not sure if it's possible or not. It is a side drilled copper purple turquoise stone (pic attached). I just wanted to know if it is ok to thread it directly on to a chain, or do I need to use a loop or winding to protect the stone from damage? Or is there a way to reinforce the drilled hole? (if this "project" turns out OK, I may have found a new hobby!)

Many thanks for any help or tips!!
    Kindest regards.

CPT.jpg
    (The stone is 14x20mm)
    Last edited by beatle-magic; 24-08-2017, 09:04 PM. Reason: submitted before I had finished :(

Welcome to the forum.

The stone is gorgeous, but unfortunately I am not a jewellery maker or lapidarist so can't answer your question. However, we have some members who may well be able to advise you, but it might be a while before anyone who knows these things is able to answer.

We're not the busiest forum, but we are very helpful and friendly.

Linda

Comment

Thank you for your reply Linda! I might have a good mooch around the forum - someone my have written about something that may help too! I have tried googling etc, but seeing as I don't know what I'm talking about it's like the black no leading the blind! 🙂. But I might just try a few things etc - I have a feeling I may have got my mind set on a new hobby!!

Kind regards,
      Ria 😊

Comment

There is a great deal of useful information in the forum posts, but it may take some time sorting the relevant facts from the rest of the information and the general chit chat!

We have a daily "coffee morning" thread in the "other stuff" "non crafts related" section which you are very welcome to join. Several members pop in from time to time, but some of us manage to get on there nearly every day.

Good luck with your new hobby!
        Linda

Comment

Hello there,
          I am late to the party on your question I know, but on the chance that you have not achieved that which you wish I have the following suggestions.

Yes, you can thread it directly onto chain and that chain is likely to wear away before the stone ever does. I don't know what the size of the hole is but I suspect that you will be looking at something like a product called crimpable chain which is thin enough to get through most bead holes, easy to finish the ends of and give a plush look.

I don't know where the side hole is located on the pendant, but assuming it is near the top you can either use a 'pinch bail' of which there will be many options or you can, as you say, poke a wire through it, loop it and create an 0 ring at the top for a chain to go through, I think the pinch bail will give you the best look. They literally push pins either side throug the hole but are very strong.

Hope that helps

Comment

Working...
          X