What is this material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this material?

When I was a child, I made some earrings with a friends mother, who was an artist. I'd like to find the material we used to make more jewellery, but I'm not sure what it was or how to get hold of it. Please bear with me, my description will be a little vague!!

It was a metallic sheet which we cut shapes out of. We arranged the shapes to make our earrings, and put them in the oven. When they came out, they were hard, and the material had melted, forming a black line around all of the patterns on the base shape. The back of the earring had also gone black, and melted into our earring fixture.

Any ideas of what this could be would be much appreciated!!

Bek

Don't know but it sound really fun. The only thing I can think of that sound like it is shrinkles.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

What country and what decade are we talking. Not to be personal but it might help.could be some kind of plastic. Did it come in a kit?
      "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
      my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

I'm not sure if it came in a kit, my friends mum was an artist, so there was all sorts of material just lying around. I don't remember what the raw material was like, but the back of the earrings, where the material melted and went black seems to be plasticky. Sorry I don't know more about it!

I was about to say that I made them not too long ago, but I was about 8, so it was 12 or more years ago! Thanks for making me feel old!

Comment

I think the stuff you are referring to is Friendly Plastic.
          It comes in small sheets that you can cut with scissors and then melt in the oven or in hot water.
          It is still available but not common.

Melanie

Comment

Yes I would agree with frendly pastic you can get it queit cheap on fleabay. I use it queit a lot. There are many books out there with lots of tips and ideas.
            "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
            my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

Working...
            X