Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please can anyone help with wire size for beaded bracelets

Hello everyone

Forgive me if you have seen this post already, I just posted in the bead section and am unsure where exactly I should place it, so I have posted here as well....sorry

I have just started a new hobby, making beaded bracelets. I have purchased some inexpensive beads to practice with, but am totally ignorant when it come to wire. I want to start with a good wire as I intend to use far better beads once I have mastered the art and will give the pieces I make (hopefully they will be acceptable) to friends and family.

Now I have researched wire and realise I would like to use beadalon 49 strand. I am guessing and it is exactly that a guess, that I would need .0 24. But I see they are different mm and I am unsure whether I need 0.51 or 0.61 I do not have a clue what these numbers stand for.

Let me please add the bead size will vary on the bracelets I am making, from small spacer beads right up to 8 mm. (Glass beads) I have read about chaffing and wire eventually breaking, is this because the bead hole is too large for the wire and so the beads move around. Should the wire be a close fit?

I would like the bracelet to hold its shape but not so stiff it is without movement.
    Also I would like to use crimping beads and crimping covers.

So my question is please, as follows

What size gauge wire do I need ie 49 strand .0 24, 22 or 20. What mm

What size crimp tubes

What size crimp covers.

This information will help me a lot and of course I am open to any advice you could offer. Totally new and totally ignorant in the craft, but a thousand per cent committed to listening and learning.

Thank you all for reading

Times

You are right the 49 strand is the best. The other numbers - .18, .21 etc are the thickness of the wire and different sized crimps are needed for each. I use flex-rite from jencel.co.uk 49 strand .18 in /.45mm, with 2x2mm sterling silver crimps. I use the pearl silver colour as it is more like sterling silver in colour and better for clear beads. The ordinary wire is very grey. Although it may seem expensive the wire + crimps only work out about 60p or less per necklace.
    I also use the magical crimping pliers, they take a bit of practice but they make a lovely neat round ball instead of a possibly scratchy square and you don't need crimp covers. They work best with sterling silver crimps too.
    The beads don't need to fit tightly to the wire and as long as the beads don't have sharp edges the wire will be ok.
    Hope this helps
    Melanie

Comment

Originally posted by silvermaid View Post
      You are right the 49 strand is the best. The other numbers - .18, .21 etc are the thickness of the wire and different sized crimps are needed for each. I use flex-rite from jencel.co.uk 49 strand .18 in /.45mm, with 2x2mm sterling silver crimps. I use the pearl silver colour as it is more like sterling silver in colour and better for clear beads. The ordinary wire is very grey. Although it may seem expensive the wire + crimps only work out about 60p or less per necklace.
      I also use the magical crimping pliers, they take a bit of practice but they make a lovely neat round ball instead of a possibly scratchy square and you don't need crimp covers. They work best with sterling silver crimps too.
      The beads don't need to fit tightly to the wire and as long as the beads don't have sharp edges the wire will be ok.
      Hope this helps
      Melanie
      Bless you Melanie, you have been so helpful and have explained this really clearly. I will go now to the site you mentioned and take a look at their stock. I just spent £60.00 on glass beads and am slightly disappointed with them, so these will most definitely be practice beads. These are glass pearls and they look paints, so I think I will go with clear beads. I intend to make all my friends bracelets for Christmas gifts...ha ha they can compare. Lol

Thank you once again

Tilly xxxx

Comment

Hi Melanie

just one question please, re the magic crimping pliers. I searched for a tutorial for these, just to see what the difference was a came up with one, which I am not allowed to post link but it is from jewellery supply.

I typed into google how to,use magic crimping pliers tutorail and it came up, but the lady says it is important to use .018 or .019 wire and nothing else. Are these the right pliers, if so do you use them on .024 wire.

Sorry to bother you again.

Many thanks

Tilly x

Comment

Hi tilly, I use those with .18 flexrite wire which is the right one. If you use them on .24 wire the crimps will not make a neat ball and may not hold correctly. if you already have .24 wire you can still use the 2x2 crimps but you will have to use ordinary crimp pliers instead.
          I always thread all my beads in the right order on the wire while it is still on the reel, once it is right I put the clasp on that end, the cut the wire off the reel end (nail clippers cut it ok) a few cm past the beads and put the other 1/2 of the clasp on. I always thread the ends through a few beads at each end before cutting it flush.
          Melanie

Comment

Hi again melanie

Thank you for this...yes I understand completely.

Many thanks, off to start a piece now

xxxxx

Comment

Working...
            X