Photo-etched jewellery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo-etched jewellery

Firstly, I must say this is a very comprehensive site! It has everything on it. Very pleased I found it.

I'm toying with the idea of using up my gemstone collection in some way. The obvious way is to create some jewellery. I don't have the time or space to build a new workshop and learn a very technical skill in jewellery making, so I thought of something else.

I started my career in architectural design (I now work in graphic design) so I know how to create 3D shapes and how to build them. I'm wondering if I could put this to use in creating some unique jewellery. I'm fascinated by nature, so I was thinking of creating some animals or insects encrusted in gemstones. I know it's got a limited market, but I would enjoy doing that rather than make a ring or necklace.

However, what I'm stuck on is mounting or setting the stones. How do I do that in a flat sheet? I can solder to a reasonable degree, but I've only soldered fairly low temperatures before (188 deg C) and I know soldering silver is at a higher temperature. I'm hoping I can find a way of designing in the prongs or settings to the design, rather than have to add them later.

Any help or guidance would be gratefully received.
    Steve

I think I've realised that I haven't made myself very clear, especially with all that waffle at the beginning.

Here's what I need help with: If you can imagine a flat sheet with a hole in it (roughly the same size as a stone) how would you set the stone within that hole?

I would prefer that the crown is proud of the surface, so the setting would be around the girdle, as is normally the case I think.

Thanks, Steve

Comment

Working...
    X