jewellery thread question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jewellery thread question

I brought some clear stretch elastic (crystal line) today as I fancied having a go at making a bracelet for myself. Anyway all the beads are on but I can't do the knot without it slipping undone?
    Any suggestions... what sort of knot will be durable?/ last with my darling daughter tugging on it all the time
    incywincystitches.com - Fabric buttons, button supplies and handmade accessories
    ___

Probably a really rubbish explanation, so bear with me :

When you tie the knot instead of going through the loop once, go round again. You could always dab some craft-glue on the knot to make sure. I don't personally know the brand you mention so don't know how durable it actually is, but that knot should be okay.

haven't read this site in any detail, but it seems to explain a lot

http://jewelrymaking.allinfoabout.co...echniques.html
    Blog Website Flickr

Comment

That was quick, thanks
      will take a look at that site...

It's probably not a very good make of thread as it was only £1.99
      incywincystitches.com - Fabric buttons, button supplies and handmade accessories
      ___

Comment

Try either adding a crimp bead to the loose end or hypo-cement onto the actual knot...that should secure it. I normally add a few crimp beads on bracelet so they are a bit more secure adn also if it does break the beads don't scatter like a box of maltesers and repairs are easier.
        Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery & Glass Fusing Blog
        Dichroic Glass Tutorials
        Wholesale Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery

Comment

That's a good idea, Em is bound to grab it and brake it. will I be able to buy some on ebay?
          ... and know what to do with them
          ___

Comment

yup...I buy 'em from there. You just need to squeeze them with a pair of pliars to secure them.
            Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery & Glass Fusing Blog
            Dichroic Glass Tutorials
            Wholesale Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery

Comment

you need 2 knots, just tie a "normal" double knot - figure of 8 thing, then tie another knot over it, I use a crochet hook, wrap the elastic around it and then use hook to drag the thread through

(I am soooo rubbish at explaining stuff)

When I started making jewellery, I used elastic for EVERYTHING and this knot never slipped. You have to watch the glue you are using if you use glue as some glues degrade the plastics in the elastic (rhymes!)
              www.beadlab.com

Comment

lol, thanks
                ___

Comment

Working...
                X